Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnwf
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference

Good news.   Ethernet is King!

ChefZ
Streaming Star

The amount of wifi interference that has disappeared instantly from my 3 Roku devices in the house, which were already wrapped in faraday fabric mind you, is crazy. I should've done this a year ago.

Ethernet, IR, and IR repeaters for the win!

Svano
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference - re-enable P2P down setting

Agreed...I have the same issue... Had A HIDDEN wifi on the same channel as my wifi connection and did not know where it came from... Found it with the Mac address... Roku....I understand the need at the setup.. But it keeps broadcasting AFTER wifi setup completed... Default channel is 6.. Guess what.. So is the guest network I am at... resulting in bad and conflicting channel on wifi band... We should at least be able to switch chanel on the Roku just so it's stops interfering with légitimit traffic... Basic network stuff that your engineers missed at design time... Former product manager talking... Ciao

0 Kudos
rogerx
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference - re-enable P2P down setting

Roku mandates wireless function for zapping ads directly into your brain.

TIP: The ads appear and sounds are much clearer & better, if the roku device is nearby on your desktop or nightstand!

0 Kudos
rmongiovi
Reel Rookie

Actually, it's just bad customer service. Charge extra for a device that supports a wire connection for people who want to avoid wifi and then make wifi unavoidable. The fact that it causes interference is irrelevant.

I have my own wifi access point, thank you very much. I don't need my wired ultra competing with it.

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Streaming Star

@rmongiovi- you do realize if for whatever reason a wired roku was over-saturating your wired ethernet backplane on your router, then certainly a similarly running wifi roku would also then be over-saturating everything on your access point right?

If your ethernet is running 10/100 with 5+ devices then sure I guess what you pose is a problem...but for most people running gigE ethernet (or more) I would question what you are doing in a home environment to saturate that!

I would firmly argue that "The fact that it causes interference is irrelevant". Why would it be irrelevant? Its literally the problem everyone has that caused this feature request to be raised. Why would you think people's wifi networking issues caused by a vendor device is irrelevant?

0 Kudos
rmongiovi
Reel Rookie

@ChefZ, this isn't an issue of the roku saturating my internet. The issue is that I have a wireless router and all the network devices in my home are connected to it. What I need is for my roku ultra, which is acting as an access point I do not want, to not interfere with the access point that I do want.

I SPECIFICALLY bought the most expensive ultra model so that I could connect it to wired ethernet and not have my streaming interfere with the wifi signal that all the other devices in my home are using.

When I said "irrelevant" I clearly didn't mean irrelevant to me. Obviously it's relevant to me since I've tossed my two cents into this "feature request" thread. What I meant is that the interference seems irrelevant to Roku since they provide no ability for a wired device to turn off its wifi access point. In fact, if the complaints are accurate they seem to have specifically removed that feature. They don't even supply a way to lock it to a non-interfering channel. So how else am I supposed to describe their apparent attitude?

ChefZ
Streaming Star

@rmongiovi- oh lol. I wasn't giving Roku an out on this one to say its irrelevant [to them]! You are kinder than I am 🙂

My self-service improvement since they won't give me back the firmware feature on my 3 roku ultras was to open em up, tear out the antennae, prevent a short circuit with electrical tape, and move on. So frustrating

rmongiovi
Reel Rookie

@ChefZ, thanks. Great idea. Quite easily done, as well. Just annoying as **bleep** to have to modify a device I just bought. Even my AT&T set top box has a "wifi off" setting. If AT&T can do it I'll bet it wouldn't be rocket surgery for Roku.

Edit: Well, a good idea for the two antenna that plug in. Not so much for the one that soldered. Still, every little bit helps, I suppose.

0 Kudos

TO JNWF. I would like to have a dialog with you about your family member intolerance with EHS and RF of any kind (WiFi, Bluetooth, or WiFi Direct). I am seeking mitigation with RF concerns in & around our home. 

How can we discuss this outside these posts?

0 Kudos