Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yung40oz84
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature Request: Support for audio out - Airplay

Good find brother! The parts that’s highlighted clearly says that you can sync the sound that’s playing through the TV with AirPlay 2 compatible speakers around your home... Still waiting Roku 🤣😂 We’ll give these outstanding devs some time. Don’t wanna be too pushy lol!

wdon
Reel Rookie

Yeah, from what I've seen, there doesn't appear to be ANY technological reason preventing it.

Perhaps Roku is afraid it cut into sales of THEIR sound bar.  If so, they're not thinking straight, because they will sell a **bleep** of a lot more 4K units then they'll lose in speaker sales. It's clear Apple knows this feature will help them sell more Apple TV's. 

Why wouldn't Roku jump on this before Apple comes out with a more price competitive unit?

Yung40oz84
Channel Surfer

Ya I’m not sure to be honest. I can think of multiple individuals off the top of my head that just got 2 Apple Mini HomePods and was amp to use them as a nice speaker set for their TV. That being said, it’s been quite disappointing knowing Roku did not do it and myself as well as those individuals have all Roku devices. I have 3 alone at home. TV and 2 streaming stick+ If they were to implement this immediately it would have jumped sales through the roof over the holidays considering that Roku is the first to push AirPlay 2 in streaming devices, as far as I know. 

0 Kudos
Tylerdotdo
Channel Surfer

You guys are reading this incorrectly. What they are saying is you can play your music (from an iPhone) to both your Roku device and other airplay speakers at the same time. 

0 Kudos
Yung40oz84
Channel Surfer

Who is reading what wrong? Lol. I’m not referring to music. I’m referring to streaming movies and the ability to AirPlay audio from the Roku to my HomePod mini. I can’t stream a movie to the Roku and the audio separate to the HomePod mini, can I? If so let me know how you do that, I’d like to try 👍🏼

0 Kudos
Tylerdotdo
Channel Surfer

Your are misreading this:

I found this on Apple's informational website:

"Leading TV manufacturers are integrating AirPlay 2 directly into their TVs, so now you can effortlessly share or mirror almost anything from your iOS device or Mac directly to your AirPlay 2–enabled smart TV. You can even play music on the TV and sync it with other AirPlay 2–compatible speakers anywhere in your home."

Therefore, I am guessing Roku will be able to implement this feature unless they have some sort of compatibility issue.  

You are misreading this to back up your belief that the Roku will be able to cast its sound to airplay 2 devices. It can’t. This blurb is only about receiving an airplay 2 stream along side other airplay 2 receivers. It isn’t about the ability of Roku to cast an airplay 2 stream. To do that, you need an Apple product.

0 Kudos
cromney
Channel Surfer

I can't send audio from Itunes to the Roku Stick and also I can't send audio to my airplay speakers or AVR. We really need this please. Please let us have the whole experience. That will help you sky rocket your sales over the competition. That will be for sure. 

0 Kudos
Tylerdotdo
Channel Surfer

You should be able to send audio from iTunes to your Roku. Which stick do you have? The feature is only available on Roku stick + versions 3811 and 3810. Roku os must be 9.4 or later.

0 Kudos
cromney
Channel Surfer

I have the 3810X- Roku Streaming Stick +  with software version 9.4.0 Build 4190-50

0 Kudos
Tylerdotdo
Channel Surfer

Yeah, that’s all correct. That’s basically what I have too. Mine shows up in iTunes and all my iOS device sees it too. Do you see any devices in your airplay? Do you have an iPhone that you can use to check? You should see a device with the same name as it’s listed in the Roku app.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.