Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCalca1706
Binge Watcher

Re: Feature Request: ExFat

Not only ExFat but also some common audio file formats are not supported!

Roku devices support the following audio file types:
  • AAC: HE-AACv2, AAC-LC (CBR)
  • MP3.
  • WMA, WAV (PCM)
  • AIFF.
  • FLAC.
  • ALAC.
  • Dolby Audio: Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3)
  • Passthrough: DTS.

Roku Media Player is able to directly play videos stored on a USB drive which is formatted with the FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, and HFS+ file systems

Some videos on ExFat formatted Flash Drives will play on my Smart TV's but with no sound (Samsung and Sony).

0 Kudos
radellaf

Agree 1000x.  Pay the licensing.  It's not a complete player without exFAT.

0 Kudos
GamerChris555
Channel Surfer

yup, in 202x+ NOT supporting exfat is company suicide, and 99% of players with a USB port could have a FW patch pushed in the next update stream
why have they not done this REQUIRED patch yet? exfat is not avoidable anymore, NTFS/HFS+/EXT are NOT valid options for USB flash drives
the reason to avoid these formats is obvious once you understand flash memory, journaling on a write-limited media
if you format a drive as NTFS/ext#/ect you introduce pointless permissions/journaling that adds extra write cycles on the device intended to have files that cannot be permission limited and that quickly fails from write cycles(think 1000x capacity and it is unreliable if not dead)
I format all my non-internal drives above 32gb as exfat, since even my playstation 2 running ulaunchelf or my wii running HBC supports it, and those are consoles older than the open-sourcing of exfat

support exfat in the next FW update cycle or admit you don't give a **bleep** about users, you can't have it both ways anymore

0 Kudos