Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bk119

Re: Feature Request: ExFat

Yes, I agree the exFAT file system support needs to be added and I don't know why it wouldn't be since most new flash drives will have this file system. I just paid $4 for the PlayUSB channel to find out it won't recognize my USB drive.

mynok12
Reel Rookie

I figured out that NTFS works, but still, exfat should be an option.

bk119

Yes, NTFS does work. I copied my video files from my exFAT drive to a portable iOmega HDD and connected to the Roku USB slot and it did recognize the drive but the videos did not run smoothly. This TV for some reason does not have a USB slot only HDMI's. I ran it on another TV I have that does have the USB slot and the videos run fine. I don't think it is the TV I am more inclined to think running it through the Roku is causing the problem. Anyone else run into this? I am going to buy a USB-C to HDMI cable tomorrow to see if that works better.

0 Kudos
pemontto

All my external drives and cards are exFAT formatted so they work across all operating systems. All camera's, drone, etc. work with exFAT.

Sting_Seth
Channel Surfer

I have two Roku Ultras and the main reason I have them over other models is because of their capability to play USB drives. exFat support is necessary.

Sting_Seth
Channel Surfer

I'd like to add that 'Roku Ultra LT' is much cheaper than 'Roku Ultra'. The only key difference between the two is that 'Roku Ultra' has a USB drive. That makes it an important feature. Please, Roku, add exFat support. 

0 Kudos
Chozlo

Have you ever tried to produce a video in NTFS? It takes about a minute per two seconds of video to produce it. So a ten-minute video will take about an hour or so. 
That is unacceptable! 

I also tried using the exFAT format and it took a fraction of the time.

I like to produce a video and watch it on my ROKU Ultra to preview in large format.

Please, ROKU, you can add a couple of dollars to your unit and include support for exFAT and the problem would be solved.

0 Kudos
Chozlo

When I got my Ultra, the USB port was not important.

I think more people use the port than is thought. I started using it for photos on my TV during a party. 

Now, I have become heavily into video recording and editing and I could really use the exFAT format because it is so much FASTER.

0 Kudos
KostaSIES
Binge Watcher

I have all the files in my network the same one roku is how can make roku to see this files so I do not have to use the USB stick that is not recognized by Roku anyway becouse is formatted exfta becouse a move file is to big so I am forced to use the exfat.

Your replay will be appreciated.

Kosta

0 Kudos
danielrg76
Reel Rookie

@KostaSIES - While of course Roku should support exFAT, alternatives do exist to see files on the network.  I believe the "Roku Media App" can see DLNA servers on the network, so that is one method.  Another method is to use a "Plex" server and install the Plex app.  I don't know if Roku supports Kodi, but that's another option.

I have a feeling now that there's a Roku channel, all the engineers and developers are over there caring about making another glut of "Content Nobody Cares About(R)" work, so that Roku can make money off streaming.  Hardware doesn't make anyone money above and beyond the common use case, which is driven by giant monopolies of Apple TV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  So as long as those apps install and aren't too buggy, 99% of the population is ameliorated and eating popcorn.  Add in the Roku channel and even Roku doesn't care anymore because their revenue stream is not so much hardware anymore. 

When 50% of your potential hardware and software capabilities support 99% of the revenue, and the other 50% of potential hardware and software capabilities support weirdos like you and me that want to plug in their USB sticks - it makes it very hard with the bean counters and business monopolists running corporate America when they see it won't line their pockets.  There are probably developers and engineers at Roku that would like nothing more than to pounce on these forums and fix every little bug that we complain about. But nobody will let them service the non-revenue producing minority.  Ahh, the world is so cruel to anyone that strays outside the group that numbs out the Mandalorian at night with nary a USB stick in sight.

However, as is usual with the bean counters and business monopolists, they often don't really understand the markets they are in, oversimplifying them due to limited intelligence, the need to leave work at 5, or their golf game. There are nuances to the media consuming market. One is that technologically saavy folks with USB sticks and Plex servers are big influencers with friends and family. When that Roku dies or gets too slow that belongs to the Mandalorian watching 99%, who is asked what to buy to replace it but one of those "tech geeks"? The same tech geek that was pissed off that a common and reliable standard like exFat wasn't supported on the Roku. And although the next Roku will play the Mandalorian just fine, out of spite they get their friends to buy competing hardware. That's right, before they even go into the store, see the fancy box marketing dept agonized over that cost as much as the hardware inside it, placed in just the right place in the store or in the web search algorithm, they ask their geek friend what's good.

Roku, please don't let it happen to you. Support the fringe users. Have the better platform. Rise above the mediocrity. Make the strategic choice. It's great to have technology geeks love you. Take some of the money from your executives or the next quarterly profits and add some nice niche features. Although they want their money now, those same execs will be happy if they can practice some self control and in five years, when the Roku is still recommended as a standout box instead of yet another cheap alternative to Chinese Generics, sales will be up. A glut of cheap junk that can play Netflix is right around the corner (and in some cases already here). The Roku TV won't save you all by itself.

Add exFAT.  It is a sound business decision.

0 Kudos