Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sirpinky
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature Request: Configure Default Channel Selection for Guest Mode

Exactly. I just wanted YouTube to be there by default, and the Roku built in media player - both trivial and seems to be missing. 

who is driving this thing? Lol

MDinTV
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature Request: Configure Default Channel Selection for Guest Mode

Ha, just got a survey from Roku! Unfortunately, no place to express my/our dissatisfaction with this ongoing lack of follow up on their part. Survey asks about if we notice/like The ads on their menu screens. The only thing one can do is mark the first couple of questions as very dissatisfied, but note that they don’t ask why you might be so disappointed.

0 Kudos
jaddeo
Channel Surfer

Re: Add channel to Guest Mode

Same request and yes spectrum app allows you to create profiles one of which is guest with limited account access. 

This should be a feature since most people are using guest mode in short term rentals.

1. create a guest mode profile with standard apps

2. allow for some apps to hold log in preferences based on admin settings

3. and or remotely install apps

4. sync with platforms like AirBnB

2022 and asking for flexibility in the platform is not unreasonable.

CrashedSnow
Reel Rookie

AFAICT nobody from Roku monitors these forums. I am in the process of removing all Roku devices from all properties, and replacing with something yet TBD. Meanwhile, I'm advising guests to BYO dongle, and it turns out that most tend to do that anyway, so setup of Internet, TV connections and whatever app(s) they need installed becomes the focus (when I travel I now bring my own Google TV dongle for the same reasons).

I would not hold my breath waiting for Roku to improve. From what I've seen, they are on a downward spiral indicative of a company who didn't have a sustainable revenue model and are now trying to cut all costs, squeeze partners and jam ads into every crevice.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Consider this another request to add user defined apps to Guest Mode.

It would be useful for many to have the ability to add additional apps to the Guest Mode defaults, effectively adding owner defaults to the Roku defaults.

For example, I would be able to add Discovery+, Apple TV, Pluto TV, HBO Max, or any other app or set of apps, to list that would be automatically added when Guest Mode is entered. Even limiting the ability to add up to 3-6 apps would be a great improvement.

There are a lot of ways this could be implemented. Simplest, it seems to me, would be to allow owners to add a list of additional apps from their Roku Account settings. A single list of apps would be appended to the Roku Default apps when Guest Mode is entered on any device on that user's account.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MDinTV
Channel Surfer

I love how well you articulated this concern we share! i’ve watched for years as a fellow Roku customers have expressed similarly. Unfortunately, there is no indication that Roku considers anything here to be important enough.

what I’ve done is a simple WORKAROUND:  I don’t use guest mode. The channels I want are simply already loaded; particularly our cable provider, spectrum. 

If a guest leaves their Netflix account logged in on the device, I don’t consider it my problem. Eventually someone else logged into their account, and so on. 

JackVette
Binge Watcher

In case anyone from Roku reviews posts here.....

I have a beach house we rent out which has ten TV's.  All have Roku, either via being a Roku TV, or with a Roku Box.

I used to have cable boxes for all the TV's, but I swapped them out and put in Roku everywhere.  I then pay for Spectrum content so my guests can watch both premium and basic shows through the app.

I spoke with the Management company about the Guest Mode situation to get their take.  Obviously, I am not alone in this situation.

They told me they suggest disabling guest mode as it causes more problems and support than it solves.  They manage over 500 homes.....

This is the perfect situation for Guest mode, but because of this "feature", it goes unused.