Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UkiwiS
Channel Surfer

Feature Request: Configure Default Channel Selection for Guest Mode

First post....I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and I missed it in searching.

I have cable in my vacation rental...Spectrum. I use the Spectrum TV App to stream Live TV to my devices. One is a Roku TV and the other 2 have Roku Sticks.

In "Guest Mode" the Spectrum TV app is not available. I can have guests install it but I'd need to write instructions for them to do so and that makes things difficult.  Each and every guest would need to do it on each TV.

Ideally I'd like to be able to customize Guest Mode so that it includes the Spectrum TV "Channel"  Is it possible to do this and if so can someone please point me to a guide that shows how it is done?

TIA
Kiwi

Labels (1)
76 REPLIES 76
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Add channel to Guest Mode

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

In Guest Mode your guests will not be able to make purchases, change your settings, or access your channels (including the Spectrum TV channel). This is the way Guest Mode was intended for so you can share your Roku streaming player or Roku TV without having to share your account credentials. Please note that in Guest Mode, guests will be able sign in to an assortment of default subscription channels like Hulu, Netflix, Prime Video, ESPN, and Sling TV and if the channel they are looking for is not available, they will be able to add it through the Roku Channel Store.

For more information regarding Guest Mode, please feel free to visit our support pages: 
https://support.roku.com/article/360015611254-how-do-i-stream-my-content-on-a-roku-streaming-device-...

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
UkiwiS
Channel Surfer

OK, so it's not possible.

One thing I could do, is setup the device prior to the guest arriving and install the Spectrum Channel.

Is it possible to do this remotely?
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi,

To provide clarification, you can add the Spectrum Channel once in Guest Mode but unfortunately you will not be able to do so remotely.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
kibosh
Channel Surfer

Hi,

I am also interested in this for exactly the same reason.

I think the ask is to add the ability for us to choose which apps are considered default for guest mode. Right now something like 15 apps are installed, maybe give us a choice on this or allow us to add a couple extra apps we know are required in guest mode (like the Spectrum TV app). This would make guest mode PERFECT for me.

Thanks,

Kibosh
scottypie1234
Reel Rookie

I doubt seriously that Spectrum would allow this. Their app is intended for a cable subscriber to use it as an alternative to a set-top box at the address where the service is registered. You can only log in to the Spectrum app at the address where you have your cable service, so Guest Mode would not be supported.
0 Kudos
kibosh
Channel Surfer

The Spectrum app works fine in guest mode. I pay for Spectrum cable and the app is running on my home’s wifi so even signing in isn’t required.  All we are asking is for us to choose the default apps presented in guest mode so that the user doesn’t have to install it themselves. 
scottypie1234
Reel Rookie

"kibosh" wrote:
The Spectrum app works fine in guest mode. I pay for Spectrum cable and the app is running on my home’s wifi so even signing in isn’t required.  All we are asking is for us to choose the default apps presented in guest mode so that the user doesn’t have to install it themselves. 

It doesn't work fine in Guest Mode for your guests. You can only log into it with credentials at the registered physical address.
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Feature Request: Configure Channel Selection for Guest Mode

Thanks for sharing the feedback and request here. I'll be sure to pass the suggestion along to our team!

Cheers,
Tanner

kibosh
Channel Surfer

"scottypie1234" wrote:
"kibosh" wrote:

It doesn't work fine in Guest Mode for your guests. You can only log into it with credentials at the registered physical address.

Maybe you are misunderstanding me. The app is being launched in my residence . . . you do not need credentials when launching the app while connected to my wifi. You only need login credentials when outside of the residence.

It definitely works with the roku in guest mode, I am watching it right now.