Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Re: Feature Request: Ability to turn off display while continuing to play content on Roku TV

Which TV model and which software version do you have? On my TCL TV, always with fast started enabled, software 9.2.x used to show the Display Off option. But once updated to software 9.3.x, the option is gone.

0 Kudos
Ed-Dolly
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature Request: Ability to turn off display while continuing to play content on Roku TV

We use Pandora but I would think it would work on Spotify

0 Kudos
dbdarrough
Binge Watcher

@Ed-Dolly wrote:

We use Pandora but I would think it would work on Spotify

I appreciate your replies too but it seems that Roku version 9.3.x took this feature away. Can you go to Settings-System-About and see if you are on 9.3 or greater? We all had it on 9.2 but it went away on 9.3

0 Kudos
ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Would you believe, in Pandora the option to turn off the display is there, but not in Spotify. (My software is 9.3.x, whereas the option was also available in Spotify under 9.2.x.)

0 Kudos
dbdarrough
Binge Watcher

@ecc77sd wrote:

Would you believe, in Pandora the option to turn off the display is there, but not in Spotify. (My software is 9.3.x, whereas the option was also available in Spotify under 9.2.x.)

I just added Pandora to check and it works for me too so it sounds like it is an issue with the Spotify app and the new update. I only use Spotify so Pandora doesn't help me much but thanks for pointing that out. Maybe the Roku gods will notice this thread and add the menu option back in.

*** Workaround for Spotify until that happens ***

In the "Turn off display option not available after update" thread, kajsidog found that if you use the voice command option on the Roku remote or in the Roku app, you can tell it to Turn Off Display and that works in Spotify and I have confirmed it does work! Still want the menu item back but at least I can listen to music with the display off again.

ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

@dbdarrough Thanks for the Spotify workaround. I would also like to have the option back on the TV, not just for music apps but across the board as before.

0 Kudos
S_Mazza
Channel Surfer

If the screen is off, that's one less way to serve an advertisement, now or in the future.  That may explain why the menu option disappeared.

0 Kudos

I totally agree! I love listening to music especially when I go to sleep. I often fall asleep with music on and my tv on but I want to be able to still listen to the music and not waste so much power on tv

0 Kudos
gr4v1ty
Channel Surfer

This does not work anymore.

EDIT: I just got it. Fast start needs to be enabled AND then the turn display off command will work.

0 Kudos
Lenox
Channel Surfer

I enabled Fast Start TV on my new TCL Roku 65" TV and the option to turn off display isn't available.  What am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to listen to Spotify on my TV but don't necessarily want the picture on all the time.

TCL 65" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Smart Roku TV – 65S455 

To turn off the screen using your remote, press Star star button on Roku remote and then scroll and ... 

The turn off display option is not there for me.  Anyone else have this missing even after enabling Fast TV Start?  Thoughts?

I'm trying to use my TV for music but not have the screen on all day.

0 Kudos