Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kpluck
Binge Watcher

Feature Request: Ability to turn off display while continuing to play content on Roku TV

With my external Roku box, I am able to turn off my TV while still listening to whatever is playing on the Roku…audio or video. I use the headphone jack on the remote.

I would like to see a similar feature on the Roku TV.

While listening to the TV's audio output, so I wouldn't have to use headphones, it would be nice to be able to have the display turned off without killing the audio regardless if the content is audio or video sourced.

Additionally, it would be great to have the sleep timer still functional.

To summarize, I would like to be able to start any content playing, set the sleep timer if desired, and then turn off the display while I continue to hear the audio portion of the content.

19 REPLIES 19
ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Re: Feature Request: Ability to turn off display while continuing to play content on Roku TV

I second the motion! If Sony can do it, no reason why TCL Roku TV can’t...

dbdarrough
Binge Watcher

Re: Feature Request: Ability to turn off display while continuing to play content on Roku TV

I want this too! The Spotify app used to let you click options and turn off the display but the latest update took that ability away. PLEASE bring it back!

ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

I just checked. I was able to turn the display off while in Spotify, but I can’t get the display to come back on 🙄 ...until I hit the OFF button on the remote!

dbdarrough
Binge Watcher

Which version of Spotify and which version of Roku are you running? When I press the option button while the Spotify app is highlighted, I am on Version 2.7 build 16. My Roku software version is 9.3.0 build 4175-30. I'm on a Roku TV 7103x TCL model 55P607.

ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

The software on my TCL 43S425 TV was still version 9.2.0 build 4504, supposedly “up to date” according to Auto Update. Then I learned how to force it to update under Settings/Remote and Devices/Pair New Device/Add Speaker. Once I’ve updated to 9.3.0, sure enough the option to Turn Off Display is gone while in Spotify.

As if it weren’t already bad enough that the display can’t be turned off across the board, now Roku has also taken it away from the few music apps.

Rolling, rolling, rolling...🙄

dbdarrough
Binge Watcher

I agree this is frustrating. PLEASE Roku, don't take away features with updates, especially one as useful as being able to turn the display off when listening to music. There are multiple threads in these forums where others are frustrated this feature is gone now as well as threads on other sites.

Please give us back the ability to turn off the display while still being able to hear music, etc.

Ed-Dolly
Reel Rookie

From your tv remote press Home, then Settings, then System, then power, then Fast TV Start and enable that.  Now turn on your music app of choice, then on the remote press the Options * button, then the Turn Off Display function will be at the bottom of the list.  This came from Roku support 816 272 8106. We are now listenIng to music with the tv display off.  LOL

0 Kudos
kajsidog
Channel Surfer

Appreciate the reply @Ed-Dolly Does it work with spotify and Youtube for you? It doesn't work on those for me anymore. It does show up for iHeart radio still but I don't like that app as much.

TCL (my tv make) support had also suggested Fast TV Start but I already had it enabled. I also tried unplugging with their suggestion to no avail.

The only workaround I've found is using the microphone function on the remote or roku app to say "Turn off display" which isn't ideal.

ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

@Ed-Dolly,

What make and TV model, and which software version? In software 9.2.x it used to work on my TCL TV, but in 9.3.x the option to turn off display disappeared. Also I’ve always enabled fast-start.