Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aljcosme
Reel Rookie

roku express box gets warm

my roku express box gets very hot.  i have to unplug it. what does it mean  why it gets so hot? do i need to replace it? does anyone have had this happen to them?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: roku express box gets warm

Hi @aljcosme

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that Roku devices tend to go warm since they are always plugged in. For clarification, do you get the overheating message? If so, we would recommend starting with the suggestions available in this Support link: What to do if the red light is on or you see a “Your device is overheating” message.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Any electronic device that is working will produce heat. When voltage is stepped down that unused energy needs to go somewhere. The unused every turns to heat. When your charging your phone the charger gets hot. If your Roku isn’t popping up a message then don’t worry. I highly doubt it’s so hot you can’t touch it. My Stick gets warm but not hot. 

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

I think the Express range gets hotter than most due to how it is squeezed into a little plastic box.

If the Express is in direct contact with polished furniture you might want to put the Express on a ceramic plate or tile (with some nonscratch cloth or pads closest to furniture) to buffer the heat.

But don't worry, for now.

Personally I think the Express boxes has a higher failure rate over time due to borderline heat dissipation, but that's based on anecdata not proper data analysis with volumes of data or testing.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@MilesT  I debunked your theory. If the Express gets hot due to its small size then the Stick should be boiling. All electronic devices will get hot when used. It’s basic thermodynamics. My laptop is so hot after hours of using it I literally cannot place it on my lap. Doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it? No. It’s cause I’ve been using it

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Thermal dissipation is not that simple, it is not just size.

Layout of electronics in the device, different components, different casing shape/materials, and exterior air flow (likely better for stick) will make a difference to external temp. 

Don't forget recent sticks move part of the electronics into the cable, which I would suspect has an thermal benefit.

Strictly comparative measurement is hard, needs careful attention to detail to eliminate variables, but I stand by my assertion that Expresses tend to run hotter until I see detailed experimental measurement. 

Not a Roku employee