Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisVan

preview/watch the fast forward/rewind on USB video files

I have a TCL TV with Roku installed.  I've used Roku to watch MP4 and MKV video files on a USB stick.  I know that Rokus has a fast forward/rewind option but that option only shows a timeline during FF/RW and you can't actually see (preview) the video during FF/RW thus you FF/RW blindly.  Is there a way for Roku to allow preview of FF/RW for USB mounted videos?  If not, do you know of any media players that allow USB files to be previewed during FF/RW?  I've looked through this Roku community board and I haven't seen an answer.  I apologize if this has been answered before.  Thanks for any help.  3/15/24

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: preview/watch the fast forward/rewind on USB video files

Roku has not updated Roku Media Player (RMP) for video playback issues for over three years. It has numerous faults, and while this isn't a fault (it's never offered thumbnail preview) it would be a nice feature to add. There's only one or two other channels/apps available on Roku devices, but they are not free and I have never tested any of them so can't say if they have a preview function. 

I am hopeful that Roku resumes support for RMP and adds features such as this. They disbanded their beta test group about a year ago, so I have no idea what's happening with RMP at this time. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: preview/watch the fast forward/rewind on USB video files

If you really, really want the thumbnails when FF/Rewinding you can create them yourself.

BIF file creation using the Roku BIF tool | Roku Developer

Caveat:  I don't use RMP or a USB drive, so I can't be absolutely sure that RMP supports them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.