Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: hyper-saturated playback of certain files in Plex app

Jump to solution

Hi @community users,

Thank you for keeping us posted about this issue!
We will be more than happy to take a closer look into this issue that you're having. Could you send us a photo or video of your running problem? When did the issue start? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have what I think is the newest version of the hardware and it still happens even though support said it was a hardware issue (surprise: it's not).

They haven't seen fit to give the latest software upgrade to my Roku so can't say whether it's fixed in 12.5 or not.

I eventually got someone at support (in North America, so hopefully can actually report it properly) to acknowledge the bug but gave absolutely no timeline for when it might be fixed. Really disappointing that it's been years and should be an easy bug to fix. I even gave them 2 clips where they can see what's going on.

0 Kudos
Jdbausch
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for taking the time to respond, especially on the weekend.

FYI - There are multiple threads on the community site about this issue already - but I will try to cleanly summarize.

On my Roku ultra and Streaming Stick 4k when playing x265 encoded video I get over-saturated video like seen in this post:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/Update-making-colors-appear-too-red-too-rich/m...

This is an issue with how the devices handle this sort of file - there is no "fix" on the user side, short of modifying the files, or forcing a transcode on playback. This and the other thread go in to great depth on this.

My hope is that we might be able to get someone at Roku to give an ETA for a fix, or tell us it will not be fixed.  This has been a problem for years at this point across multiple versions of these devices, and Roku should either give an ETA for a fix. or tell us they won't/can't fix it so we can move on with our lives.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @tomcat335 @Jdbausch,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

As posted above by @RokuJohnB, the requested information are essential for us to take a further look at the issue and proceed with the necessary step to address this. 

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
uncletim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Was this fixed with OS 12.5?

0 Kudos
Jdbausch
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Still a problem on 12.5

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Jdbausch

Thanks for posting.

We see that the issue has been persistent, and we'd like to assist further. What specific device are you having issues with? Also, when did this issue first start to occur? Further, what steps have you taken to resolve the issue?

Your response would be much appreciated.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jdbausch
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've provided all the details in this thread already:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Solving-playback-issues/hyper-saturated-playback-of-certain-files-in-P...

If you read that post, and the links it contains, you will see this is NOT a user fixable issue.  And we need Roku to either fix it via update, or if that is not possible (or Roku just won't do it) then simply tell us that.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issues on my two Roku Streaming Stick 4K devices. Super saturated high contrast images where people's skin looks almost red, this happens only when streaming HEVC mkv files on the Plex app. This does not happen when I stream those exact same files on my Fire TV devices nor does it happen when I stream those same files on my Roku Ultra players I bought back in late 2017.

This issue is ridiculous and the way Roku responds in these threads is frankly a complete joke! Moderators here who speak on behalf of Roku act as if they haven't read through the original complaints at all, they keep asking us to enter the same information again and again and act as if every problem is a device specific problem when it isn't.

We need some REAL customer support from Roku! The people responding here on behalf of Roku KNOW NOTHING! It's painfully obvious that all they are doing is copying from a script of pre-written troubleshooting responses they were given and then pasting those same unhelpful responses over and over again to us. We need people with brains who can think! Not robots who simply regurgitate the same unhelpful responses that were copied and pasted!

Not trying to be offensive to anyone personally, but my god it's like this on all the topics I check when customers have a problem. Roku, get with the program and fix this issue! If I can stream these HEVC mkv files on a Roku device that is 6 years old and they look normal why the heck do the same videos look messed up on a more modern device?

This is completely unacceptable and so is Roku's response to it, which has been literally nothing helpful whatsoever! Just like all the remote issues!

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Jdbausch @Emissary35 

Thanks for providing information regarding the issue you've encountered.

With more specific details you provide, the better we can determine and compare the issues you've encountered considering that it like happens with different channels. Additionally, if possible, could you please provide an image referring to the issue?

The specified details we receive, the better information we can forward to the appropriate Roku team to be addressed.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos