Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chroma601
Streaming Star

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

Nvidia Shield Pro was my solution. Plus it passes TrueHD Atmos and DTS-X! I keep my Roku for Spectrum TV.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Gordo74

Warm greetings here in the Roku Community.

Thanks for sharing this information with us, and we're sorry to hear about this. We request you to provide the information requested by @RokuEuniceL as the details acquired will be forwarded to the appropriate Roku team for investigation.

Once this is acknowledged by the team, an investigation will be conducted for this to be addressed.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you remove the color space, the workaround works as long as Roku Will direct PLAY the file. I have direct play enabled but "allow direct stream" also enabled. For my Plex here at home, over the years, I've pretty much made sure to make everything direct plays. Audio/Video... My HEVC files that display red will no longer display red if I remove the color space.. While the file is playing (with the color space removed) checking my server the file is direct playing (not direct streaming)... I haven't tried this but in my experience if I disable direct play but allow direct stream, doesn't that cause Plex to wrap the file into an MKV container putting the color space BACK in that you just removed causing it to be red again? Maybe I'm wrong. I can say for sure that as long as the color space is removed and the file direct PLAY's both audio and video the red saturation is gone... FYI - This has been going on for a LONG time now.. There's no way that ROKU doesn't know about this at this point..

0 Kudos
spoole100
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Of course Roku knows about this.  I have opened many support tickets going back multiple years.  Roku is either unwilling or unable to fix the issue.  The problem is easily demonstrated in the Roku Media Player on the Ultra with files on a USB drive.  That takes out there being a "Channel" problem.

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Oh wow really? I suspected it was a Roku Problem and not a "Plex" problem... but if that's true.... if you insert a USB drive into the ROKU and try to play HEVC files with that color space and it's red without even using a channel...there's no denying it's a ROKU problem. I actually have never tried that. When my TV is on, I'm almost always watching Plex period. I hardly watch anything else so I've never tried that... I mean seriously, all ROKU has to do is get an HEVC file with the BT 107 (I think) color space and play it and see that it's red. It's really THAT simple. Again, no way they don't know.

I just bought a DVD series 480p SD but I converted it to HEVC to put on my plex. Before I put it on Plex I used this little nifty program to remove the color space... HEVC really is so much better than x264 at the same bitrate

Why not just use something other than ROKU? For me, here's why: All other Plex players I've tried can't match the Plex app on Roku... especially when it comes to autoplay (at least from past experience) I haven't tried anything else in a while...There's a huge thread on the Plex forum of people complaining autoplay doesn't work....That would be devastating to me because I use autoplay ALL THE TIME... Example: Firestick...there's a repeat one or repeat all option, but it does not work. On the plex app on my TV itself...it's there, but doesn't work... On the Roku it has always worked.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @spoole100,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!
We'd like to gather more information and investigate this issue as well. May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku streambar, Roku TV-Specify) Could you send us a photo or video of your running issue? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
spoole100
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This issue happens on my Roku Ultra 2020 and Roku Express 4K+. It does not happen on my TCL Roku TV, Roku Ultra LTs.

I have provided the files that a Roku engineer (or you) can download and play on the built-in media player.  I have opened multiple tickets on the issue and they go nowhere.

Download link to get 2 files here:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aj5keVNcvYtwmQPVobUFinyd6nHZ?e=kcIAGf

Please download the bonfire.mp4 and bonfire-bt709.mkv, put them on a USB drive, insert them into a Roku Ultra 2020, and play them in the built in Roku Media Player.  Make sure the Roku is connected to a Non-HDR display.  They are the exact same video.  The MKV file will display crushed colors.

spoole100
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuJohnB and @RokuTakashi

I just hooked back up my Roku Ultra and updated to the latest version and verified the issue persists.

Model: 4800x - Roku Ultra

SW Version: 12.5.0 - build 4178-C2

Also affected: 

Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+

SW Version: 12.5.0 - build 4178-CR

The image on the left is the x265 encoded MKV file with BT.709 colorspace flag (non-hdr).  The image on the right is what it is supposed to look like.  This is playing the 2 files linked in my previous post with the roku media player app.

Results.png

0 Kudos
Gordo74
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yup, that’s exactly what mine looked like before I returned my ultra.

0 Kudos
DarkBlood
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Removing my solution. apparently this ( solution ) was a jump-the-gun moment. I only recently began this rabbit hole. Upon further investigation across these threads and other forums.... this problem stems back over 2+ years...   and it doesn't seem like theres any solutions from rokus end. Unfortunately this means my newly purchased Roku ultra is useless since a large portion of my movies are coming up with these colors. Doesn't seem like roku has any plans to address this so I will be looking into a replacement. Can anyone recommend another product ? I only use it to play Plex movies, they are on the same network. I have 5.1 ( in the future would like 7.1 ) I am running this on a projector theatre as my main media handling device.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.