Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomcat335
Binge Watcher

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

Remember that part of the equation is that the TV doesn't support 2020 (in other words an HDTV without HDR).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@tomcat335 wrote:

Remember that part of the equation is that the TV doesn't support 2020 (in other words an HDTV without HDR).

OK, I have no such TV, so that could explain why I've never seen it. I think I do have one 1080 set that maybe doesn't support HDR. But it's brand new, so maybe it does offer HDR support. Many newer Full HD sets now have HDR support, and LG is good about supporting that.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
celicajerrie
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have v12.5 and have the same issue. The only temporary fix I found is unplugging the Roku unit and plug it back in, and then it will work for about a day or two before I have to do that again. 
FIX THIS ROKU! Might have to look into Google or AppleTV if this isn’t fixed soon.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @celicajerrie,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about the issue that you're experiencing right now. We'd like to know more about it so we can assist you further. Please provide us with the details.

• What Roku device are you having this issue with?
  • When did the issue occur?
  • Is the issue happening on all contents or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel? (Specify) Is it also happening when streaming with local channels?
  • Have you tried resetting your Roku device?
  • Can you send us a photo of the issue for reference?

In the meantime, please try to restart your system by going to Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

We'll wait for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MisterFix
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

These boilerplate responses this deep into the thread come off as the “Community Moderators” not taking the issue seriously. This issue is well explained throughout this thread and many others. Is there a better way to report technical issues outside of this forum, because this is feeling like an echo chamber. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

They have to ask those questions because not everyone provides the needed information when they first post. It is important for them to know the model of Roku being used. It's also important to know what app/channel is being used when this issue is seen. As for myself, I've never seen a red push with any of my content. But it also might be the combination of my Roku device and the display being used. Yes, the questions need to be asked, simply because there's so many possible variables. 

Dan

0 Kudos
MisterFix
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

app=plex

device=Roku ultra (specifics posted earlier)

media=mkv video files 

display=4K Lg and 4K Samsung both w/ hdr.

Same files play fine through non-ultra Roku, googletv, and firestick 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@MisterFix I appreciate that info. I will say I've heard the problem before, and the issue is the Plex app, not the Roku itself. While I have Plex on my media server, I only use it for when I'm traveling and watching stuff with my Roku Stick on the hotel TV. At home I use Roku Media Player, which has it's own set of problems but red push isn't one of them. In fact, media in an MKV container is one of the few things that work as expected using RMP. If your media has unsupported audio (lossless as the most common example), then a DLNA server that only transcodes the audio handles that. I use Serviio, and I also happen to be the user that wrote the transcoding profiles used for Roku devices. Using Serviio, I see no red push.

Dan

0 Kudos
MisterFix
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information. It's disappointing that the Plex forums blame the Roku's handling of HEVC and on here the blame is on the Plex app. I don't know which is correct. I know that Plex plays the same mvc files without the redness on my older Roku boxes and on other streaming boxes, like Googletv and Amazon fire stick. The variable from my point seems to be the Roku Ultra, but my knowledge is limited just to what I have seen in my own personal sampling.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I have some test videos that contain HEVC video, and have never seen the red push that others have reported. Some have HDR, some don't. But they all look as expected using Roku Media Player. RMP is really just a user interface for video playback. The playback is handled by the Roku OS.

But again, I don't use Plex when I'm on my home network. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.