Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Streaming is stuttering both voice and video

Dear All:

Since several days I noticed, that during watching streaming content with the 3900X, video and sound are stuttering. The stream is good for a few seconds and then the effect repeats again. Whenever I restart the Roku this effect is gone for one or two days and then the problem pops up again. The same happens with a different player. I checked WiFi - it is OK.

Does someone know a fix for that?

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes

Henning

18 REPLIES 18
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Streaming is stuttering both voice and video

Hi @Henning2,

Thanks for reaching out!

We'd like to help you out with this. Could you tell us when did you start seeing this issue occur? Have you seen this behavior happening all across the channel on the platform or in an isolated case? 

Please tell us more about this so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear Rey:

Thank you for your reply.

The effect happened today. We noticed the voice started stuttering a bit, after a few minutes more intense. The video was fine until voice and video froze 100% after a few minutes. We were watching a video from YouTube. The TV and the new 3900X were already running for appr. one hour. Before the incident we watched different news and when it happened, we were watching a DIY video. As far as I can remember, the previous incidents happened on YouTube as well.

Thank you for your help.

Best wishes

Henning

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Henning2,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than delighted to assist you further with this issue you're experiencing. Please restart your modem and router. After restarting your modem and router, you may also need to restart your Roku Express by going to settings, system, and system restart.

If the problem persists, please keep us posted.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear John:

Thank you for your advice.

Today, before I read your message, I turned on the TV/Roku and I saw from the start,

that the build-up of the first page took more time than usual. Flipping between the program choices

was very jittery. And then a news channel on YouTube showed voices stuttering and the video was not smooth. Then I switched to Amazon and the effect was even more intense. I restarted the roku and the streaming on all channels is fine.

Tomorrow morning I will restart the router, the two eeros and the roku as mentioned by you.

As soon as something pops up I'll let you know.

Best wishes

Henning

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@Henning2I'm curious if you're using WiFi and if so, whether you live in an area with channel congestion. The best way to know is by installing a networking app like WiFi Analyzer for Android or something similar for iPhone. This will show you all nearby WiFi users and the channels they've set up. If you notice there are many using the same channel, its best to switch to one that's not as congested. I set up a Powerline network at my home since congestion is severe and wired connections are more stable. Regardless, its a troubleshooting method you might want to explore

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear jontalk:

Thank you for your advice. I checked with an analyzer, but there seems to be no real conflict. The analyzer shows only two times the router and the two eeros.

After restarts of all devices this morning, sofar there is no problem.

I'll keep you posted!

Best wishes

Henning

P.S.: I marked "Email me when someone replies", but there is no notification in my email account. 

0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear jontalk:

Today12/9 the problem popped up again. Video and voice are stuttering on different channels, more buffering. After roku restart, both are fine again.

Best wishes

Henning

0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear Jontalk:

Today 12/12 both effects came back right at start-up.

Any suggestions?

Best wishes

Henning

0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear Jontalk:

Yesterday I contacted my ISP (Frontier). They  checked my router and the two eeros and coudln't find any problems regarding my case.

Any suggestions?

Best wishes

Henning

0 Kudos