Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nascaman
Reel Rookie

Sound changes volume for no reason.

I use a Roku Ultra with a Samsung QN43Q60RAF TVV and a ZVOX soundbar connected via HDMI ARC to the Samsung. While watching a streaming show the volume will, without explanation, get very soft. I then turn up the sound and, a few minutes later that sound becomes frighteningly loud. I re-booted the ZVOX sound bar -- that did not solve the problem. I then rebooted the Roku Ultra and the problem went away...but eventually returned. Since re-booting the Ultra temporarily solved the problem, I presume the issue is with the Ultra. Please help me fix this issue.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Sound changes volume for no reason.

Hi @Nascaman,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about this audio issue with Roku Ultra.

For us to isolate your audio issue, it would be very helpful if you could answer the following questions. 

1. Do you receive any error codes or messages? If yes, please let us know.
  2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your device? 
  3. if the issue only happens on one channel, try removing any channel you observe this issue on from the Roku home screen. Then, restart your device. Once it loads up again, add the channel back once more and try playing content again.
  4. In Settings > Audio > Audio mode, what setting do you have selected? Does the same issue occur if you change the setting?

If the behavior continues, review the Support article suggestions for determining why: How to set up your Roku® streaming player for surround sound | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nascaman
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary,

1. I do not receive an error code/message.

2. I haven't checked if it's all been one streaming channel. I will pay attention to that and add more comments when I sort that out.

3. See above.

4. I don't see an "Audio Mode" but can tell you that Sound Output is connected to "Receiver (HDMI)" and the output mode is PCM (not Dolby).

Tom

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Nascaman,

Thanks for providing all the information we requested and we're sorry for the inconvenience.

Just to verify, does the issue persists if you disconnect the soundbar and just play the audio from the TV?

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

all I can say is AMAZING!  This problem has been around now for months.  I have two different sticks that worked perfectly for years.  Along comes an update and both sticks behave the same way.  Watch for a while and the volume drops, or sometimes raises.  Exit the app and renter then everything is fine.  Support acts like they’ve never heard of the issue before.  Just fix it please.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JustPlainBob,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We apologized for the inconvenience this issue has caused. We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the audio issue but we need a few details to better understand what you're experiencing.

• What Roku model device are you using?
  • Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nascaman
Reel Rookie

Hi Mary,

I can say now that the volume variability issue is most commonly occurring on the HBOMax streaming app. It may occur on other apps, but if so, not as often as HBO Max.

Quitting the app and restarting the app solves the problem - at least temporarily.

Tom

0 Kudos
GPlatek

I’m having the same issue. It definitely is my Roku Ultra unit. I’ve rebooted everything. I’ve turned off the auto volume level on the tv and the Roku and the Samsung sound bar. It occurs on every channel. This appeared 3 days ago. 
So, what’s up?!?

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello @GPlatek,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Remote firmware (this can be found in Settings > Remotes & devices > Remotes > [their remote] > About)
  • Brand and model of any external audio devices connected
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Please keep us posted with the above information and we will be more than happy to look further into the issue for you.

Best regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
QueueUnderflow
Binge Watcher

Can we get an update on this? It happened to me 3 times while watching the last 2 games of the NBA Finals on the YouTube TV app. There's another thread about the same problem with 94 comments. Many people (myself included) have provided the information requested. A Roku employee claimed it was fixed back in March but that is pretty clearly not the case.