Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LP88
Channel Surfer

Screen goes black for a second then comes back on and goes off again.

Jump to solution

My screen keeps going on and off every few seconds for about a second. I've done a restart and factory reset. I also tried unplugging and re-plugging. Nothing works.  Wifi connection is solid. Any suggestions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Screen goes black for a second then comes back on and goes off again.

Jump to solution

Is it a stick that plugs directly into the TV without an HDMI cable or a Roku device that connects via an HDMI cable?  If the latter, try another HDMI cable.  For either, try a different HDMI input on your TV.  Also, try unplugging the power from the TV and the Roku for several minutes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim

Jump to solution

Is it a stick that plugs directly into the TV without an HDMI cable or a Roku device that connects via an HDMI cable?  If the latter, try another HDMI cable.  For either, try a different HDMI input on your TV.  Also, try unplugging the power from the TV and the Roku for several minutes.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@LP88-

When does it do this?  If it's when going in and out of programs, and/or in and out of commercials, it might be this:

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" some Roku devices have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item.

If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate (frame rate) used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps. Every time the source frame rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new frame rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout.

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, and when going in/out of commercial breaks that have a different native frame rate than the programs they are inserted into.

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, the Roku converts everything to a frame rate of 60 fps and the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly.

The tradeoff here is that movement of things on the screen for non-60 fps sources may not be as smooth with no frame rate adjustment. You have to decide whether this change is worth it to you.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
LP88
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express that uses an HDMI cable. I tried a different cable but it didn't make any difference. Then I tried a different HDMI outlet and voila! So far so good...(fingers crossed) Thanks!

0 Kudos
LP88
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's doing it while watched all channels all the time. I have the auto refresh rate disabled but it was still doing it. It was recommended to try using a different HDMI port and it worked so far. Thanks.

0 Kudos
LP88
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I use an HDMI cable. I've tried every fix: unplugging TV and Roku device for several minutes, using a different HDMI cable, using a different port in my TV and even restoring to factory settings. When I changed ports, it worked but only for a couple of weeks. Then it started again. So I actually purchased a new Roku (with new HDMI cable) and after a few hours, it started again! ARGH!!! Wondering if it could be my TV? And since it mostly happens after it's been on for awhile, could it be after the TV gets warm? So frustrating! I need a fix and at a complete loss. Any suggestions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
LP88
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is while watching a movie or any program. It does it even if the TV is idle on the Roku menu. I tried unplugging TV & Roku for minutes, restoring to factory settings, changing ports and changing cables, it finally worked after changing ports...but only for a couple of weeks, then started again. So I purchased a new Roku Express and after a couple of hours, it started happening again. Ugh...so frustrating and have no idea what to do. Do I buy a new TV? What could be happening? 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

This did the job for me on my 4k insignia tv with roku express 4k device connected. The Auto-Refresh Rate turned off.

0 Kudos
RBGcoastal

Jump to solution

This must be a Roku issue.  Mine blacks out in the midst of a program that has no commercial or other interruptions.  No other component has the same issue.  Using my smart TV and my Wi-Fi connected Blu-ray player, there is no problem.  Only when using Roku to stream services do the issues occur.  When I first started resetting the system we would get a couple weeks without a problem.  Now we don't get a full day.  I've ordered a new unit, but reading what others have offered, I'm not optimistic.  I may just bypass Roku altogether and let the smart TV manage streaming.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @RBGcoastal

Thanks for posting, and greetings from the Roku Community.

We see that you're having issues regarding the screen having a black display after streaming for some time, and we would be more than glad to assist.

For us to better understand the issue you are experiencing, could you please specify the channel in which this issue has occurred? Also, when did you notice this issue started to happen? What further steps have you taken in an attempt to resolve the issue?

Please keep us posted, and we'll be looking forward to continuing to assist you.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos