Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kjc23
Reel Rookie

Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

Hi @kjc23,

Welcome to the Roku Community!
We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're having with the ads freezing, but you can still hear the audio. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel? (Specify)
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kjc23
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

I tried multiple channels and it happens on all of them. However, last night the problem worsened. Everything on home screen is visible, every channel is visible. Once I select a show, any show, the audio begins but I have no picture at all. I have reset multiple times with no help. Disconnected and reconnected the Roku with no difference. I have updated with no difference. I am very disappointed in my purchase. What more can I do? My TV is useless!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Try setting the Display type on your Express to the display resolution of your TV, rather than "Auto detect".

From the Roku home screen go to Settings > Display type.

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen that lists the display options supported by that Roku device and allows you to choose one. It will warn you if your TV has not indicated it supports your choice but will still allow you to try it.

• A screen with a picture, with two options below it: "No, there's a problem" and "Yes I see it". The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen setting you're currently trying, you have about 15 seconds before the page times out to arrow over to the "Yes" option and click on it.

If your screen just goes black and stays that way, or if your TV displays a "No Signal" or similar warning, in about 15 seconds it should return to the previous menu. If it doesn't, press the Back Arrow button on your remote to return to the menu you could see.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
kjc23
Reel Rookie

I have done this multiple times also with no results 

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @kjc23,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. We appreciate all the troubleshooting steps you took to resolve this concern.

Do you happen to have another TV where we can hook up the Roku Express? We want to observe if the issue persists with a different TV.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos