Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jech54
Channel Surfer

SS 4K HDMI ARC stopped working

Jump to solution

Hello

i have an LG TV and a Yamaha soundbar connected through HDMI ARC. I have had a Roku streaming stick plus for a few years and have had no audio issues. Today I replaced it with a streaming stick 4k and the audio does not work.

to be clear: if the Roku is not connected to the tv, the audio set up works as it should (ie tv powering on powers on the aoundbar, tv volume controls soundbar volume, audio comes from the aoundbar and tv powering off powers off the aoundbar).

however, if the Roku is connected to the tv before the tv is powered on: the soundbar does not power on, if I manually turn the aoundbar on, no sound comes out of it and if I turn off the tv the soundbar does not power down. 

oddly, if I unplug the Roku before powering the tv on and then plug it in once the tv is on, it all works as it should while the tv is on and when I power down the tv the aoundbar powers down. But then on powering on all the above issues present.

I have tried different hdmi ports for the Roku and all behave the same way.

this is, to put it mildly, frustrating to experience on purchasing an ‘upgrade’.

can anyone help please?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jech54
Channel Surfer

Re: SS 4K HDMI ARC stopped working

Jump to solution

So, to answer my own question, the CEC-less adapter fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

From support pages:

"You can enable CEC on your Roku player from the Settings menu using the steps below.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Control other devices (CEC)
  5. Highlight 1-touch play

Check the box to enable 1-touch play"

I would think you'd want to disable it, but changing whatever state you find it in would be worth trying.

Also:

"You can use the following steps to disable auto power savings.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power
  5. Select Auto power savings
  6. Uncheck the box next to After 20 minutes of no interaction

After you disable auto power savings, your Roku player will remain "awake" and ready to be used any time your TV is powered on."

Those are the two things that come to mind that may make a difference.

0 Kudos
Jech54
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, neither of those worked unfortunately.

I have ordered a CEC-less HDMI adapter as Googling suggests one may help - fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Jech54
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So, to answer my own question, the CEC-less adapter fixed the problem.

Rhotundra
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What is the adapter that fixed this issue because my Yamaha soundbar on ARC also won’t work if my Roku Ss4k is plugged into HDMI on my TCL Google (awful) tv. 

0 Kudos
Jech54
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If you google (or look on Amazon) for an HDMI CEC less adapter you’ll find plenty come up. Mine was BlueRigger brand.

Rhotundra
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks, ordered one that will undoubtedly fix that system. If it also fixes a similar issue with Roku Ultra remote not working with a Yamaha Adventage and LG tv in another system, I’ll buy more CEC adapters or start snipping pin 13 on most hdmi cables. Funny I don’t have issues with Onkyo sound, only Yamaha. 

0 Kudos
Rhotundra
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The CEC-less adapter does indeed allow the Yamaha soundbar on ARC to start and operate on turning the tv back on, but disabled the Roku remote from controlling some functions (on/off or volume or voice search). Back to the drawing board. 

0 Kudos
Jech54
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear that. Presumably your remote is not controlling the TV via infrared then (but instead via HDMI). Perhaps there is a way to get the remote instead to control the TV via IR. Not something I’ve had to address myself so just a thought.

0 Kudos
rmerrem
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! I had the same problem and the BlueRigger HDMI CEC less adapter solved the problem. Everything now working as expected.

0 Kudos