Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toe
Streaming Star

Roku/hearing aids/compatability

Jump to solution

Does ROKU support Optical Audio out from the TV? I wear hearing aids and since joining ROKU I'm unable to stream the audio from the TV, through the hearing aid streaming device to my hearing aids. I also have a coax option. There is no coax out from the TV so I tried routing through the stereo receiver with no luck. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can make this work? Thx

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
toe
Streaming Star

Re: Roku/hearing aids/compatability

Jump to solution

Yup, I'm set to PCM. Like I said, it's working fine now. One day I'll dive into getting the DVD working again. It really should be simpler.

Thx, Tony

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution
Is there some setting on the tv you must enable to get audio from the HDMI port used for your Roku to be sent to the optical output?
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
toe
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes, there is a menu to select your output, however, selecting optical audio output doesn't help. Some background: When I was on cable TV (sorry) I had no problem. Now, w/o cable TV I cannot even pair my hearing aid streaming device. I wonder if ROKU supports optical audio output. I think not. The picture is great but the audio is terrible unless you can read lips, I cannot. Thank you for your input. Tony

tannenba
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I just went thru this.  I have a Phonak TV Link.  TCL support was no help.  I have a sound bar thru the hdmi-arc port and could not get audio out of the optical port, just buzzing.  The headphone jack turns all outputs off so if connected to hearing aids, no one else could hear.  Finally found that if I connected optical to the TV Link and go into to settings and set it to PCM, I get the TV in my hearing aids.  Of course  the sound bar now only does stereo since Dolby and DTS are digital.  But at least others can hear my tv when I use my hearing aids.

toe
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thx tannenba, I made some progress lately but still have issues. I got my Phonak Compilot to work with my Phonak hearing aids by re-assigning the inputs on my Onkyo. However, in doing so I lost the capability of my Bluray player, UGH. The Bluray works fine on another TV so I know it's not the player, has to be a conflict. I'm out of ideas but at least I can hear the TV through my hearing aids. Thx again, I'll save your response.

Usedknobby
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@tannenba wrote:

I just went thru this.  I have a Phonak TV Link.  TCL support was no help.  I have a sound bar thru the hdmi-arc port and could not get audio out of the optical port, just buzzing.  The headphone jack turns all outputs off so if connected to hearing aids, no one else could hear.  Finally found that if I connected optical to the TV Link and go into to settings and set it to PCM, I get the TV in my hearing aids.  Of course  the sound bar now only does stereo since Dolby and DTS are digital.  But at least others can hear my tv when I use my hearing aids.

I have the same problem, how do you connect the tv link to optical? I assume there is a cable of some sort.

toe
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thx Usedknobby. Wow, this is a reach since so much time has gone by. Actually, I did get my Phonak working properly but didn't post it because I'm not sure what got it working. I am using the TV digital audio  (optical) out into the Phonak. I too have a soundbar. I'm sure that there are input/output conflicts in my receiver but I haven't played with it in a while. Getting the Phonak working was the priority In the meantime I lost the capability of my DVR, UGH. I feel I have tried all input/output configurations with no luck. It really shouldn't be this difficult and I do miss my DVR. Usedknobby, that's what I used to use on my enduro bike, HA.

Thx for your input

MarkKaminski
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I use the Roku Ultra with my Phonak hearing aids just fine. It's all by BlueTooth. 
The key is that you MUST use the Ruko app on your phone. Merely hit the head-phones button in the app and it will shut off sound to the TV while sending it to your hearing aids! I love it.

There is one oddity. When you are done watching, you have to turn the head-phones back off. Otherwise, despite having turned the TV off with the regular remote, you will continue to stream the sound! Again, just turn the head-phones back off in the app (even after the TV is turned off).

toe
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you Mark. When it's time for a new Roku I'll upgrade to the Ultra. I'm currently using the stick. Thx again.

Tony

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@toe, there's nothing special about the Ultra with respect to using the app on a phone.  You should be able to do the same thing with your stick.  It's you're phone that's probably the more important part.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos