Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bacon
Roku Guru

Roku has become worthless without proper frame rate matching

The lack of proper frame rate match has me using Roku less and less. Almost every major original series or movie on almost every major streaming service is now shot and delivered at a true 24.000fps, which causes stutters on every Roku device during playback. This includes Netflix, Disney+, and Prime Video.

What's more, current Roku devices don't even support proper integer refresh rates, which means even if the channel does support Roku's frame rate match feature, it will still display 24.000fps content at 23.976hz, which does nothing to solve the stutter problem.

The only solution for me is to use the internal apps on my LG OLED, or a device the has proper frame rate support like Apple TV 4k.

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Roku has become worthless without proper frame rate matching

You've been beating this to death for 3 years. Why would you still use a Roku? No one who uses one cares. I've always used frame rate matching, currently on a Samsung that I sincerely doubt is capable of 120Hz or better refresh. I have no idea what you're seeing, but frame rates are hardly standardized. Look at "Doc Martin" on the Roku channel: 60p. On Tubi: 24p. Pluto: 60p. Vudu: 50p (probably the only one that got it right, but the cameras they used could be set for anywhere from 5 to 75 fps, so who knows?). The one thing that I can see the Samsung do is that a 50p input forces "judder reduction" to the max and it can't be manually overridden. That doesn't happen with 24p or 60p stuff. 

As far as I'm concerned, if it don't trigger an epileptic fit, don't fix it.

That "Doc Martin" has some tough left-to-right panning in the intro; try the various frame rates and tell me what looks smooth.

mrkalpakkam
Channel Surfer

Few years before, roku premiere+ used to match frame rate for all the apps. Based on that experience, I recently bought roku ultra. Only youtube, vudu and prime displays automatically at 24p if the source is 24p. Netflix, apple tv, and disney+ videos are converted to 60fps. I have to go back to apple tv 4k. 

I hope roku will at least let us manually change the framerate for these apps under the * options menu.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @mrkalpakkam

Welcome to Roku Community. 

We understand that you are experiencing issues with the frame rate on some of your streaming apps. We would recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding this: How to change the display refresh rate to match the native format of each movie, video or TV show. Additionally, you can try adjusting the display settings on your TV to see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
mrkalpakkam
Channel Surfer

There is no framerate settings in the TV. The TV is capable of displaying 24p, 25fps, 50fps, 30fps and 60fps based on the source. Other devices such as fire tv, apple tv, etc. are automatically sending the native frame rate of the movie. I have the match frame rate set in roku under advanced display settings. 

The roku interface is seen at 60fps by the TV. Amazon prime and youtube apps have no problem changing the framerate to 24p if the video source is 24p. It is mainly the netflix and disney+ apps. Though the source of video is 24p, roku is converting the video to 60fps and so the movies are not smooth. 

lakerssuperman
Binge Watcher

I'm glad it's not just me.  This is an absurd thing for Roku to not provide, given the amount of content being put out in actual 24.000fps now.  I love my Roku's, but the lack of some of these features is head scratching and the total lack of actual feedback from support is always concerning.  There are lingering years long issues that have just gone unresolved.

It's almost like we need to write in to the larger tech sites and Youtube channels that cover this stuff and start asking them to bring this stuff up so more eyes get on it and maybe some pressure gets put on Roku to fix this stuff. 

I don't think it's too much to ask for the Roku frame rate matching feature to actually match the correct frame rate of the content.

Frstewart87
Reel Rookie

I thought I was going crazy! Glad it’s not just me. I’ve been a huge advocate for Roku, but this frame rate limitation has me questioning my brand loyalty. Maybe it’s time to switch to a new streaming device? Any recommendations? 

mrkalpakkam
Channel Surfer

Apple tv can match framerate in all apps except youtube. Android devices can do as well but you have to use kodi with addons. In roku, though it won't match the framerate, there is a workaround to lock the framerate to 24p - you can use it if you know for sure that a movie in say netflix, streams at 24 fps. 

1. You need to have amazon prime app. Open a show/movie that is 24 fps. The display will be at 24fps.

2. Don't close the app within the app. But use home button to go back to home. The UI will still be in 24fps.

3. Open any other app like netflix, and watch the show/movie. It will use 24fps streaming rate. 

4. If you close the prime app or restart, the UI will go back to default 60fps. This is tested in latest OS and app versions. 

Fire stick has a remote shortcut where you can manually change the framerate to anything. But there is no way to find the streaming framerate for a netflix show/movie - you have to try changing to a different framerate until the video is smooth 🙂

I wish roku will at least consider providing with an option to manually change the framerate.

lakerssuperman
Binge Watcher

It's frustrating because given the landscape of streaming 24.000fps seems like something we should have.

Even when you do submit an issue it gets the usual treatment of we'll elevate it to the engineers nonsense that results in years old issues.

I'm realistic. They can't support everything, but framerates should be supported and for me, the should absolutely implement CEC volume control for the Roku app.  It seems an unbelievable oversight that the app can't control volume.

Frstewart87
Reel Rookie

Bought the Apple 4k tv device yesterday. Couldn’t be happier. Thank you all for your support! I’m hopeful one day Roku will resolve this MAJOR visual limitation users are handicapped by poor design that could easily be fixed with a firmware update.