Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ispyce
Streaming Star

Roku freezes, then I have to reboot and re-activate my device every time

My apologies first off if this is in the wrong forum- I wasn't sure where else to put it.

So whenever I watch anything on my Roku, it could be any channel/app, but the app will freeze, so I exit out and go back to my Roku home screen. I'll try to load the app again- or any app- and I get an error that says it can't load the channel, and to check my connection and try again. Which I do. Connection is fine, but it still won't load any channels. So I restart my Roku, and I have to go through the whole setup process again- find my network, enter password, sign in to my Roku account, then verify my account- at which point my Roku unlocks and I can go back to watching whatever I was watching. Until it freezes again and I have to start this whole process over again.

I haven't noticed a pattern to this, sometimes it never happens, sometimes its just once a day, sometimes its several times a day. I do have an older device- it's the Roku Express 3700X. Is it becoming obsolete? Or is there a bug somewhere in the system? Usually I have no issues, but this problem has been getting increasingly worse over the past week. Before that I never had any issues. So I hate to have to buy a new device if I don't need to.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku freezes, then I have to reboot and re-activate my device every time

Hi @ispyce,

We appreciate you for taking a moment for sharing your observation.

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku device and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far. We would be happy to look at what we can do to help you to make sure we are providing the best streaming experience.

Try the steps below to help resolve the problem:

1. Check for updates (Settings > System > System update > Check now)
  2. Restart your Roku player: Settings > System > Power > System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

See more tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue here: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ispyce
Streaming Star

Thank you Mary for responding. My system is up to date, and as for restarting, that doesn't help matters. In fact, it's the restarting that is the issue. If simply restarting the device fixed the problem, I'd have no problem.

My system freezes, so I have to restart my device but every time I restart, I have to go through the whole Roku setup process- find WiFi network, enter password, connect, sign in to my Roku account, verify my account... I shouldn't be having to go through this process multiple times a day any time my system freezes.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ispyce,

Thanks for following up.

If you are still experiencing an issue with playing content on a Roku device, please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, software OS/version, and IP address (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing and what exactly the behavior is that you are experiencing

We look forward to your responses and gathering your details as it will help us to offer appropriate assistance to you on the reported issue.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos