Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku apps and UI work and there's sound but no video

Hey, so I was gonna watch the new criminal minds and the video plays but there's nothing on the screen.  It's on, and the UI all works as do the various streaming apps UI. There's audio too, but the video starts and the content goes black.  Tried Amazon prime,  and discovery+ too and got same thing.  

I've restarted the roku device,  factory reset it, unplugged it for 5 minutes and manually set the resolution to 1080p, and even tried 720p.

Model 4800x roku ultra

Serial number X01000MN3JF5

Software version 11.5.0 build 4312-C2

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
mojonexus

Re: Roku apps and UI work and there's sound but no video

Same issue as of 1/12/2023

0 Kudos
Egrace137

So I’m not an expert, but I just spent an hour trying to troubleshoot this same problem for my mom over the phone and this was what finally worked. We enabled the auto adjust display refresh rate. 
https://support.roku.com/article/115012823268

Now she can also watch the new Criminal Minds. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
W4EAE
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem, and no combination of display resolution or refresh rate solves it.

It started out as only affecting Paramount+, but now video shows in none of the channels.  Netflix shows the title and rating on start, and Plex shows the player controls; but no video.

After six days of this nonsense, I am about ready to buy an AppleTV.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please verify if you are still experiencing the issue you are reporting. If so, can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • specific title content that you see this issue occur
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jenzmsgs

I am also having this same issue. My Roku streaming device is newer, a christmas present for my daughter. It worked fine for a couple of weeks, until now. When I am on the main home screen everything is fine. I select an app to watch and there's no problem with the selection menu. But when I choose a show to watch the screen just goes black. The audio is working, but there's no picture. Only for the actual show however. When I push the settings button the menu displays immediately. 

Bizaar, and frustrating. I have reset it numerous times now. Ensured that it is powered up with the power adapter that it came with and have even tried it on 3 different TV's. My internet connection is excellent. 

It must be a malfunction with the unit or a glitch in an update. 

Please fix this? 

Thank you

-A frustrated Roku customer. 

0 Kudos
Gurnz
Reel Rookie

After disabling the AD Blocker on my router, my channels began to work without issue. Hope this works for you!

0 Kudos
Gurnz
Reel Rookie

After disabling the AD Blocker on my router, my channels began to work without issue. Hope this works for you!

0 Kudos
VaZDeF

Roku TV "App" Media Player has NO Video controls!!! FIX THIS ITS BEEN YEARS

Roku Media Player is such garbage i can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet after all these years. WAKE UP ROKU PROGRAMMERS !!!

Playing any video has no video controls. No Pause. No Rewind. No FastForward. No menu. No progress bar.

When i play a movie i'd like to be able to pause it and not forced to watch it for the next 3 hours straight. 

0 Kudos