Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra must be unplugged to turn on AND daily HDCP Error Detected

Jump to solution

I have had my Roku Ultra 4800 RW for just over 1yr. Just after the year mark, for the past few weeks, everytime I go to use my Roku I have to unplug it and plug it back in to turn on. Then, once it is on and I go to a channel to try to watch something, I get the HDCP error detected notification. Then I have to go through all of the steps to fix the HDCP error to allow me to watch anything. EVERY TIME! My remote has more 80% power and will turn on the TV and-once I unplug the Roku - either from wall plug or male adapter to Roku, it will work to to scroll through channels, etc.. I have tried two different HDMI cabels (one of which came with the Ruku), different inputs on the TV, moved the power cord from surge protector to directly to outlet, all with the same result. My TV has not changed. One day everything worked fine and the next, I have to go through above every time I try to use the Roku! HDCP Error has occurred on multiple channels (HBOMAX, Disney+, AppleTV, etc).  I have the most recent software update and the issues with the recent update don't seem to match mine.

TV: Vizio M492i-B2 (1080p)

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra must be unplugged to turn on AND daily HDCP Error Detected

Jump to solution

@Lanie6, pressing the Home button (or any non-TV control button) will wake the Roku from the new "power saving" mode.  You can disable it under Settings->System->Power.  It may or may not have any effect on your HDCP issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Final update: a week after disableling the new powersave feature, I have not had any HDCP errors. It is diappointing that I cannot use the powersave feature, but at least I am back to being able to use the Roku as intended!

Thank you @renojim

Of addtional note, I have yet to hear back from Roku support after they sent the issue to engineering. 

TV: Vizio M492i-B2 (1080p)

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58
Shapeshifter
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Are you going to ever fix this. So tired of restarting Roku just to watch tv. 

Chenthu

Jump to solution

Yeah I am having the same issue since about a few days ago and my Ultra is less than a year old! This is ridiculous! 

G-guy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This appears to be a known issue now, based on the banner on the support page. Although my device doesn't have the manual update available. Had to open a case. Why release a buggy software update shortly before a major holiday?

AllanK5

Jump to solution

My 4800X worked fine for 3 months, then in Nov this problem. Tried the suggested fixes as mentioned above. Works one day and then fails next day. My old 4200X works fine. 

4800X Ultra , 10.5.0 build 4201-CZ updated Nov 18

GCS
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Don't know if this could fix your specific HDCP problems, but this is what I did and it fixed my issues :

After the update, I had errors on two units, on different TVs. I bought a Zeskit 8k HDMI cable for only one of the TVs, but the problem persisted, though not as often. 

I found a website (below). I had to disable the device refresh rate and reboot, reset the display type to read my TV and not auto detect, and disconnect all cables from all devices, and reboot (specific instructions at the website). 

Stopped all the errors.

https://appuals.com/rocku-hdcp-020/

Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you @GCS . Unfortunately, my display refresh rate was already disabled and doing a factory reset did not fix the problem either.  Neither did changing the resolution settings. Maybe this will help others, though.

I can go through all of the disconnecting reconnection steps and it will resolve the HDCP error for the time the TV and Roku are on. I have not resolved the issue with having to uplug the Roku to get it turn on either.  Roku support now wants me to pay to return the unit and ship a new one since my warranty ran out less than a month ago. 😞

zaq1234
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have been having the same issue for several weeks.  I started by unpluging everything per Roku support web page "what I should do when I see an "DHCP error detected" message or purple screen?" and that corrected the issue..but only for the day. I have found if I only unplug the TV from the wall and push the power button on the Roku remote to power up the TV again it will work.  I have a wired ultra 4800X with software 10.5.2 build 4201-C2 connected to a Vizo Model M492i-B2 (1080, not a 4K TV).  I have tried 2 HDMI cables and 2 ports,  I have on the Roku turned the display auto-refresh rate to Off under advanced setting and changed display type from "auto" to "1080p TV". I have an identical Vizo TV connected to a Roku 3930RW (Express) Software 10.0.0 build 4209-AE and it works fine.  Next steps are to move the Roku Ultra to different TVs in the house and see if the issue moves.

Lanie6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@zaq1234 I also have a Vizo Model M492i-B2 (1080, not a 4K TV) and have tried all that you have listed as well, but do not have an alterate Roku model or TV to try.  I will be interested hear what happens when the Ultra is moved to a different TV since it currently appears the Ultra is the problem. What did Roku do with the software upgrade that is causing this and why can't they fix it? I am not confident that paying to return and receive a "new" one will fix the  powering on and HDCP error issues as ROKU support has requested of me based on all of this feedback. 

zaq1234
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Lanie6 Something to consider: Check out Walmart today online on a Roku Ultra LT ($35.) or Roku LE ($15) and weigh against your options.

0 Kudos