Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJSomers
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra must be unplugged to turn on AND daily HDCP Error Detected

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with my 4K Streaming Stick on my new Samsung TV   (QN90B - 65"). The Roku worked initally but not over the past 2 weeks.  I am unable to watch any apps on the Roku. I followed 2 different sets of instructions for the HDCP Error message & they worked for one time use. The next time I used the Roku, I received the HDCP Error again.

Can anyone help? I read one thread about this issue which said that the updated 11.5 version resolved it. I have the 11.5 version, and it did NOT fix the problem. The Roku is unusable at this point and it's a new one. Thank you.

0 Kudos
DJSomers
Binge Watcher

"Unable to Detect the TV'S Resolution" and HDCP Error message

Jump to solution

I keep receiving the HDCP Error message on my Roku 4K Streaming Stick on my new Samsung TV (QN90B) so the new Roku is unusable. I have followed 2 different sets of instructions & they worked for one time use. The next time I used the Roku, I received the HDCP Error again.

I checked the Roku Settings and saw the Display Type had reverted to Automatic (720p) so I changed it to the correct 4K HDR TV setting. Then, I noticed the box saying the resolution could not be detected and followed the instructions given. Still, NO detection for ANY of the resolutions,

Any ideas? Anyone think this will help with HDCP problem? I have searched  Support, Posts and Threads, and followed all ideas, suggestions and instructions  and so far nothing has worked.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer. So frustrated.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: "Unable to Detect the TV'S Resolution" and HDCP Error message

Jump to solution

If you're using the TV's USB port to power the stick try using the supplied power adapter.  Maybe keeping it powered on all the time will help.  Also, I don't know if sticks have the "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power, but if yours does try disabling it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DJSomers

Thanks for the post.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you, but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
mick7
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you for the suggestion.  I believe I did this while having my issues. However after trying everything, I got the Amazon Fire stick. I have No problems at all. Smooth sailing and I am no longer frustrated with those problems. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
DJSomers
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank skibum 1. I appreciate this information. My roku is already set to auto update and it does so each day. Currently I am on version 11.5.

0 Kudos
DJSomers
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks Roku DannyR. Sofia with customer service has given me a case number and we are emailing back-and-forth with information. Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Roku's inaction on this is really disappointing.

DJSomers
Binge Watcher

Re: "Unable to Detect the TV'S Resolution" and HDCP Error message

Jump to solution

From one of my posts in December: "I checked the Roku Settings and saw the Display Type had reverted to Automatic (720p) so I changed it to the correct 4K HDR TV setting." I don't know why this happened or why the Roku on my main TV changed to "Auto-Detect", but at some point it did let me change the setting to "4K HDR TV" and I've had no problem since then.

0 Kudos