Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecdiii
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra is Overheating consistently

Jump to solution

Like others in this thread my Roku 3920x is consistently overheating. Roku NOT in a closed space, NOT On top of other electronic devices like cable boxes, routers, or receivers and NOT in direct sunlight. I have repeated step 3 multiply times. Also have factory reset. Device overheated even before I could get thru the setup. Device has worked great up until a week or 2 ago. Was thinking about just buying a new device but hesitant for fear a new device will have the same problem. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ecdiii, here's my solution for an overheating 3920.  It's probably not for everyone.  🙂

3920.jpg

Packing electronics into these tiny packages is just asking for overheating issues, but this thread is about Ultra devices.  I can only guess that the heatsinks are no longer doing their job.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
ecdiii
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you @renojim. At this point, what do I have to lose. Will give it a try. 

ecdiii
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried @renojim suggestion to remove my Roku 3920x from its casing. Unfortunately this did not help my overheating issue. Device overheated within a couple of minutes and I wasn't even watching any programing, just going through the setup. 

0 Kudos
jen-B
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have been experiencing this issue with my Roku device. I bought the USB extension piece and after 2 weeks I get the notice again. The device is plugged into the tv and the tv is setting on an open table so it is not enclosed at all. At what point does Roku replace these devices? Are we waiting for one to blow up in someone's home?

jen-B
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@renojim 

While I give you Kudos for thinking outside the box, this is probably not the best solution. My suggestion is for Roku to fix and replace these devices before something disasterous happens.

Planoanna
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku is in a very open area and I even have a fan blowing on it. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
mveetz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Probably just going to buy an AppleTV since Roku DGAF.

0 Kudos
JDrok
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The only other thing I can suggest is to prop the device up so the fan can circulate air easily to all sides, even under it.  My Ultra now sits slightly askew so only one edge is down on the table top.  I do still keep the fan on it. Lying flat on the table seems to allow it to heat up more swiftly.

This is not a solution, just the work-around I have been using all these months.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Planoanna
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks. My Roku dangles, so it's not in contact with anything but air. I'm so frustrated that Roku's suggestion to all of us is the same garbage, time after time. 

Might be time to check other options.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.