Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atotic
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra exits programs and returns to home screen

Same here. I was wondering whether it was a hardware issue. 

My Roku has never crashed until last week. I've had about 10 since then. Several freezes while watching Netflix, and two times Roku was just frozen when I turned the TV on and required being plugged out of power to recover. 

Model: 4802X

Software: 12.5.0.4178

Serial: X01000GPVJU4

0 Kudos
teppsn
Channel Surfer

Model  - 4802X - Roku Ultra

Serial number - X01000M683JO

Software version - 12.5.0 • build 4178-C2

Uptime  - 1 day 12 hours 29 minutes

Roku support  - roku.com/support

This problem occurs on all channels, even live streaming from The Roku Channels News

Long Story:

I have been using ROKU devices since I got my current internet account with unlimited bandwidth 15 years or so ago.

I purchased a new Roku Ultra 4800 when it was first released in 2019 and have been using it everyday until Tuesday (Dec 12th) of this week. 

I watched a number of shows all weekend and again on Monday. Tuesday I watched my OTA shows until around 4 pm (Central time) when I decided to watch a movie on Prime Video, I started the movie and about 2 to 4 minutes into the movie it just suddenly jumped to the home screen. I went back into to Prime and saw that it was in my continue watching area so I started to resume the movie but it began at the beginning again not where it left off, odd but not a concern yet. 

After about 2-5 minutes, BAM back to home screen again. Thinking maybe it was Prime Video App, I signed out of the app and signed back in, no change in result. I then removed the app completely and reinstalled it, signed in and started it again, NO change in result. So having eliminated those issues I went to my VUDU app and started the same movie there, BAM back to home screen after a few minutes. Now thinking this is a ROKU problem and not me, I went to every other app that I use and had the same result including streaming live news in the ROKU app.

At this point I decided it was time to reset the entire thing including my network (not really the problem but I have dealt with similar issues in the past and I know that although its never the problem, it is something you guys alway require. I did a factory reset on my ROKU 4800 2019 model and a complete reboot of my entire network, I then signed back in to everything but there was no change.

So know I know exactly what the problem is

I then thought,, I’ll see if this happens anywhere else. So I used my Apple TV 4K and watched the entire movie without issue. I then did the same with everything else I have that streams movies (Phone, tablet, computer, Tivo and smart TV) NO ISSUES with any of them.

I then remembered I had a NEW ROKU Ultra that I purchased last year when the 4802 was released so I broke that out of the box and went through the entire install and low and behold it works like a charm. No streaming issues at all. I was able to play though everything normally, so I checked the ABOUT and saw that the new ROKU Ultra was operating on Software Version 11..5 and NOT on 12.5. 

So as far as I was concerned there is an ISSUE in the Software Version 12.5 and whatever update was installed on Monday the 11th or Tuesday the 12th. I figured I would not update to 12.5 on the new device and just use it like I always have, but YOU don't allow your units to NOT update everyday so it updated itself and on the 13th of December my brand new Roku Ultra 4802x also became a $100 paper weight because it is now also unusable. It also goes back to the home screen after a few minutes of streaming.

Then I had a hare-brained idea that maybe the remote was pushing the home button all on its own. Really Stupid, what the heck, lets check that out too. So I dug out a different remote and paired that one and of course it had zero affect on the issue.

Briefly about me. I have been on the internet since I got my first Macintosh LC3 in 1993, I ran an ISP from 1996 to 1999 and in my spare time operated as a Mac Computer tech until 2001. I spent countless hours working with friends and customers on the network, computer and other issues. I took classes in networking, computer repair and spent many hours working on my (at one time 14 web sites). I am not new at this. I know how to network and I know how to troubleshoot issues. This issue never happened until the ROKU device update itself at its regular time on Monday (or Tuesday) at 2:xx pm central time.

I am now using my Apple TV and My TIVO instead of the Roku that I have been in love with for 15 plus years. I don't like it, but I have no choice because both my ROKU Ultras are bricks now.

I hope all this information helps and you can see that I am not some random dude who complains every time something goes wrong. In fact other than a problem with the VUDU app a long time ago I have never had a problem with ROKU devices other than one died on me, so I always have a back up to use just in case.

Thanks, and I hope you guys can figure out what you did and get it fixed.

0 Kudos
teppsn
Channel Surfer

It's a Christmas Miracle

I used the Ultra to access my Vudu Account (Apple TV won't let you buy movies with their VUDU app) to see if there were any new deals. When I went to view a trailer my screen went completely black and the device appeared to reset itself. (a remote reset perhaps?)

Now it's working normally again.

I still hope this issue stays solved because I really don't like having to use the Apple TV device.

(maybe someone will take a few minutes and let me know how you managed to fix this).

thanks

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @atotic @teppsn,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you sharing the device information that is needed. Would you mind giving us the missing information, which is the Device ID and the Tracker ID?

Device ID (this can be found in Settings > System > About)

Tracker ID (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

We'll be eager to wait for the update.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
teppsn
Channel Surfer

Model 4802X - Roku Ultra

Serial number X01000M683JO

Software version 12.5.0 • build 4178-C2

Uptime 1 day 12 hours 29 minutes

Roku support roku.com/support

Device ID SODA223683J0

Model: 4802X - Roku Ultra

Serial number: X01000M683J0 (SODA223683J0)

Software version: 12.5.0 • build 4178-C2

GC version: 10.4.45

Timestamp:2023-12-15T19:06:51Z

Please use issue ID JO-502-266 to report the current issue.

This is all the information without my web address.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@teppsn,

Thanks for the post,

We have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, we will be sure to update this Community thread. 

We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime. 

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atotic
Reel Rookie

I have not had any crashes since I've posted my initial complaint. As far as I can tell, there has been no software update. Love my Roku!

0 Kudos