Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davejwalk

Re: Roku Ultra and Dolby Atmos

Never mind! Apparently I didn’t read this all the way through. The post right before mine explain this perfectly. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
JPTpro

Word

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @JPTpro

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Splash1701D
Reel Rookie

It sounds like you guys already did this but if anyone else is having a similar issue, I wanted to add one thing. Make sure in your Roku audio settings, any volume setting like Level or Night is set to off. And on your AVR or soundbar, make sure TruVolume or any other volume control is also off. I was getting Dolby Audio, which is ok but it's not Atmos. I struggled with this every day for over a week. When I saw the green light on my sound bar come on and fade away (indicating Dolby Atmos) I almost started crying. I was so happy. Now I can sleep at night. My brain pisses me off sometimes. 

0 Kudos
vhroom
Channel Surfer

@StreamerUser YouTube is always encoded with a 2.0 Stereo. It does not support Atmos at all. Actually there is something wrong in Roku Ultra. For me Onkyo 7.2 Atmos supported AVR and shows everything as Atmos. I think Roku is just making it up. In some videos even if it shows Atmos the quality of sound is much inferior compared to my Nvidia Shield TV which is also Atmos supported. In the videos Roku Ultra shows Atmos shows DD+ in Shield TV. Not sure what Roku is up to. Something is not right with Roku.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@vhroom you need to put your Ultra in audio passthrough mode. If it's in auto mode, it converts everything the DD+/Atmos if connected to an Atmos capable AVR. Stupid, yes. But switching it to passthrough you get the correct codecs. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
vhroom
Channel Surfer

Should it be wise to upgrade from Roku Streaming Stick 4k to Roku Ultra? Are there any advantages apart from the obvious ones?

0 Kudos
atc98092

The advantages of the Ultra 4802 is support for AC-4 audio, Dolby Vision (although the latest Stick supports DV as well), and the Dolby encoder (which isn't as necessary if you're using an AVR with good audio support). You also get an Ethernet connection (more reliable than WiFi but not as fast) and a USB port if you want to play media directly from an attached drive. Some might also prefer the ability to install the Ultra away from the TV, since it uses an HDMI cable, and not connected directly to the TV.  

Dan

0 Kudos
vhroom
Channel Surfer

Thanks @atc98092. I generally use Shield TV primarily. Wanted to get a Roku for the second one. I was kind of confused as I am not getting Atmos in some shows in Netflix though it shows. Thought may be Ultra will do the trick but looks like Netflix lists as Atmos in the main page of the shows but if you check in Audio and Subtitles in Netflix Atmos does not show up in the list. Its a bummer. That said I will keep the much cheaper latest Roku Streaming Stick and return the expensive Ultra.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I also use a Shield for my primary video watching, which is all from my media server, so I want the resolution and framerate matching, as well as lossless audio and caption support. That is the area that a Roku is lacking. But for online sources, such as Prime Video or other such source, the Roku is easier and simpler to use. My Ultra does get Atmos from Netflix, and of course Dolby Vision on those supported videos. 

Just remember that to get Atmos availability, your Roku has to be connected to an AVR/soundbar that supports Atmos. Otherwise you just get regular 5.1 audio. If you connect a Roku (Stick or otherwise) directly to a TV that doesn't have Atmos support, you won't see Atmos available on Netflix.

Dan

0 Kudos