Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UnhappyStreamer
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra Going to Home Page Every Several Minutes of Viewing

After having chats with an agent several times, I find out ROKU Ultra owners are having a problem with the Ultra's constantly returning to the home page after streaming apps after a few minutes of viewing. There appears to be no sense of urgency on ROKU's part to fix this software problem. I purchased 2 Ultra's for around $100 each. I expected spending more money on a product, I would be getting a better product. I couldn't have been more wrong, my $18 Expresses work perfectly.

Who in the community would be interested in taking action against ROKU? We spent premium money to purchase this product that isn't even good as a paper weight, and we are losing money because we can't watch content we pay for without interruption.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra Going to Home Page Every Several Minutes of Viewing

This is the first I have heard of it. If it was common, you would find many more posts here. I have an Ultra (4800), and have no problems.

Is it only certain apps? All apps?

Returning to the home screen is often a sign that the app crashed. That would typically be an issue with the service/developer, as Roku is only responsible for The Roku Channel.

0 Kudos
UnhappyStreamer
Reel Rookie

Mine is a 4800X model. It happens on every app I try to watch. I even replaced my Ultra with a brand new one and still have the same problem. Plus, it doesn't matter if I have it set up on my WiFi or on an ethernet cable. And, if you read my post, you will see that I stated the Express's work perfectly. The last two people that I have contacted at Roku about this problem says that I am not the only one with this problem and it is a software problem with the Ultra. This has been going on for more than a month, so obviously, there is no sense of urgency to resolve this problem. 

Since there appears to be no sense of urgency to fix this software problem, I was hoping this post might spur someone from ROKU to actually do something, maybe even contact me. That hasn't happened yet. That sad part of all of this, nobody promoted ROKU streaming products more than me. Now, I am on the verge of not recommending ROKU products to anyone.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@UnhappyStreamer 

Have you tried connecting the Ultra 4800 to a mobile hotspot (if available) to see if the issue persists?

I would also try using the 2.4ghz band of the network since your Express devices are working fine. (assuming for $18, these are likely 2.4ghz-only devices).  The model numbers of the Express devices from Settings/System/About should provide this information. 

If your Ultra is able to connect and work fine on the 2.4ghz band and hotspot, then I would begin to look into the router as possible culprit. (examine the 5ghz band settings, the LAN ports for ethernet, and any accompanying router app that may be handling the Ultra connection).

Would also try disabling the Power Saving feature of the Ultra under Settings/System/Power/Auto-Power Savings/20-min [uncheck to disable].

----

What is your network setup.  ISP (internet service provider), router model number, any use of network switches, extenders/pods, mesh setup etc.  Also, are you using any ISP/router mobile apps.  More detail, the better.  Maybe can start to narrow down issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
UnhappyStreamer
Reel Rookie

It is set up on an Ethernet cable. But I have tried it wirelessly, does the same thing. I connected it wirelessly to my cell phone's hotspot, does the same thing. It does it on every app. I shut off Power Saver, it does the same thing. 

The last couple of times I contacted ROKU, I was told I wasn't the only one with this problem. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @UnhappyStreamer

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about the issue you have encountered with your Roku Ultra, and we'd like to request for additional information so our team can investigate. Can you please provide the details below?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Lists of channels that you access.

More details on the issue aside from the requested details will help us further investigate this matter.

We hope for your response.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
UnhappyStreamer
Reel Rookie

Is there a chance that you would have an email address that I could send you photos of what you are looking for?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for getting back to us, @UnhappyStreamer 

You can send us the information requested through Private Message here in the Roku Community.

To send a PM, kindly tap on the avatar of the user you want to send a message. This will bring you to their profile account. Then, press the "Send this user a private message" icon where you will be directed to messaging that user.

We hope for your continuous response.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.