Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjd223
Binge Watcher

Roku Randomly Jumping to Hulu app

I have this same issue. It happens with a brand new remote also.

On the old remote I know I'm not pressing the button because I disabled the 4 shortcut buttons by disassembling the remote and putting scotch take between the buttons and the PCB contacts.

This happens on my Roku TV in the bedroom and the remote doesn't even have a Hulu button.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: ROKU Randomly Jumping to HULU app

Hi @bjd223,

Thanks for your post. 

We'll do our best to help you. Does this issue only occur when streaming a specific channel or any channels on your Roku device? Have you also tried to disassemble the new remote and the issue still occurs? What type of Roku remote do you have, a simple or voice remote? 

Keep us posted with the details.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
BowerR64
Reel Rookie

Mine does that also and i got so tired of it i took the remote apart and put tape over the quick access keys now i no longer open those but hulu still does it. I finally decided to remove hulu now its faster, i no longer have to wait for hulu to load and back out now it asks me if i want to install the app i then can say no and go back to the app i was using its faster with hulu removed. I believe hulu has hacked something in the software so this happens. I have another weird issue that happens some times my remote will lose connection with the ultra box and when this happens i have no control of the box i have to reboot it for it to find the remote again. I have since downloaded the remote app on my phone so now when it happens i can reboot the machine from my phone and then it finds the remote again. Im bed ridden so getting up to reboot the box is not possible for me this solution has fixed the problem with the remote just crashing or losing sync or what ever its doing.

Jandek

I also have this issue. I can be watching YouTube, Prime, Netflix or whatever and sometimes when I press fast forward or the back button it will randomly open Hulu.

0 Kudos
TeeShane
Reel Rookie

I'm posting again, after months of not using the remote. My Roku, since taking the batteries out of the remote and tossing it in a drawer, has never once switched to Hulu or any other channel. I use the remote in the Roku phone app. It takes a few to get used to it, of course, but it works flawlessly. I have it set to the "swipe" style in settings so you can look at your TV and just swipe on your phone to move around. That way you aren't having to look at your phone to know where to tap. I watch a lot of YouTube, so having the YouTube app up on my phone connected to the Roku along with the Roku app, is actually very handy. My Sony Android TV also has an app built into Android phones where I can control many TV functions too. 

So basically, no more remotes! I actually really love it, now that I'm used to it.

Still though, come on Roku! Fix this please! Ridiculous!

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jandek

Thanks for reaching out here in Roku Community, 

We'd be happy to look into this further, but we need additional information to identify the issue. May we ask what Roku remote you have, a simple or voice remote? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue? Have you checked if the Hulu bottom on your remote might be stuck? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
Keep us posted with the details. 

Regards, 
Nimfa 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@TeeShane

Thanks for following up. 

Sorry to hear about the issue you have with your Roku remote. Have you tried using one of your remotes again and see if the issue still occurs? To remove one possible reason that causes the issue, make sure that the Hulu bottom is not stuck. 

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards, 
Nimfa 

0 Kudos
Elroy1986

Haug warsh

if everyone is having the same problem then you’d also experience the same thing. Meaning your words are empty. You don’t care. I’m looking to replace Roku for something that uses my main streaming app, Spectrum. I find that then I throw all of my Roku devices in the trash. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Elroy1986

Thanks for keeping in touch!

If your Roku device is randomly jumping to the Hulu app, it could be due to a few different reasons. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Check your remote: Make sure that the buttons on your remote are not stuck or malfunctioning. If you have a different Roku remote available, try using it to see if the issue persists.
  • Restart your Roku: Try restarting your Roku device by going to the "Settings" menu, selecting "System", then "System restart". This may help clear any temporary issues that could be causing the problem.
  • Check for updates: Make sure that your Roku device has the latest software updates installed. Go to the "Settings" menu, select "System", then "System update" to check for any available updates.
  • Check your Hulu account: It's possible that the issue is with your Hulu account rather than your Roku device. Try logging in to your Hulu account on a different device to see if the issue persists.
  • Remove and re-add Hulu: We suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart. This will ensure that you have a fresh install of the app and could potentially fix any issues that may be causing the random jumping.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

Jc23mz

Re: Roku Randomly Jumping to Hulu app

Unplug the Roku from the wall for 30 seconds and plug it back in. It fixed mine

0 Kudos