Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BriGood
Binge Watcher

Roku Express 4k+ playback of AirTV2 recordings crashes Sling app but sling.com PC playback works

Using an AirTV2 with local usb storage, 2 Roku Express 4K+ streamers, and 2 Vizio TVs  all wired ethernet, playback of OTA recordings crash the Roku's sling.app at the TVs but PC playback from a Chrome browser works fine from watch.sling.com.  Is there something wrong with TV playback using the Roku streamer?

Roku TV playback at the TVs work fine using recordings from a 4-tuner Tablo DVR and Roku Tablo app.  Wired ethernet is 100Mbps with measured throughput ~80Mbps.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 4k+ playback of AirTV2 recordings crashes Sling app but sling.com PC playback works

You can't compare a service on one device with one on a completely different device. The app may look identical, but they are written in a completely different programming language. It sounds like there's an issue with the Sling TV app on Roku devices, but since Sling is the one that provides the app they are the ones you need to contact. They most likely have a programming error in their most recent app update, and they will need to address it.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
BriGood
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Express 4k+ playback of AirTV2 recordings crashes Sling app but sling.com PC playback works

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll try to follow up at sling.com or AirTV.  I like the UI of the AirTV2 / Sling combination, just too bad it does not work from my TVs from the Roku device.

0 Kudos
atc98092

You really should contact Sling so they can fix their app. It's possible they aren't even aware there's an issue for some users, and your information would be valuable for them to troubleshoot.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@atc98092 wrote:

It's possible they aren't even aware there's an issue for some users

I suspect the Sling/AirTV2 combination may be one Sling doesn't even test.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
BriGood
Binge Watcher

I tried contacting sling via their chatbot and support menus.  Got nowhere with AirTV2 device help.  Referred documentation to engineering and waiting for response. 

0 Kudos
BriGood
Binge Watcher

It's too bad I'm experiencing problems with DVR playback between the AirTV2 and the TVs.  I'm an engineering grad setting up a side-by-side OTA DVR testing lab between Tivo, Tablo, and AirTV2 hardware products. The AirTV2/TV playback path involves layered hardware and software components between the AirTV2 tuner, Roku hardware, Roku app, and Sling app which make diagnosis tricky.  The AirTV/Sling UI is clean and intuitive when run via the PC and browser, but the TV playback crashes makes the AirTV2/Roku/Sling platform unusable for TV playback.  We'll have to see what the Sling engineers say, but thanks for the feedback on this issue. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.