Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jillprock
Binge Watcher

Roku Express 4k +, frozen on thin striped screen

Jump to solution

Roku Express 4k +, frozen on thin striped screen, A couple of months ago my Roku froze on a full screen of thin striped colored lines. I unplugged, did reset button, got new HDMI cords (short and gold plated).  Reconnected everything and I have the same screen of stripes.  Did it all again and again.  While usually  one of these steps would make it all work again, this time nothing helps. I was busy so I grabbed my trusty ole Roku 3 and have been using it since.  But now it has started blinking to a black screen about 10 times within 5 minutes. With the length of time it stays black increasing up to 10 seconds. I need to address the frozen screen issue on the Roku Express 4K + (bought last December '22).  Anyone have a suggestion? Model 3941X.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express 4k +, frozen on thin striped screen

Jump to solution

Hi @jillprock

We just wanted to express our gratitude, and at the same time, we want to profusely apologize for the delay in our response to this issue.

We were able to verify your account, and the issue has been brought to the attention of our support staff. Please be sure to keep a close eye on your email address, as that is how they will communicate with you.

If you are still in need of assistance or an update regarding this matter, do get in touch with us.

Many thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

jillprock
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi,  No apology necessary! Have been testing out my replacement Roku for almost a week now and no problems at all! It doesn't do any of the crazy things the old one did. I'm so happy with it.  I have the old one all packed up and will mail it tomorrow.  Thanks so much for the replacement. I love my Roku! Jill

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

For the Express, if you're not using the supplied USB power adapter, use it.  If you already are, try another one from a phone or tablet or even the TV's USB port.  Note that some TVs cannot supply enough power via their USB ports.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jillprock
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding and sorry I took so long to reply.  I tried 2 different usb cables before I made the post.  I guess I should have said so.  However, I tried 2 more usb cords a few days ago.  I even switched different hdmi and usb combinations with no change.  It is frozen on the thin stripes screen.  Any other suggestions?  I'm just still using Roku 3. Thanks!

0 Kudos
jillprock
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Sorry,  I forgot to mention that yes, I was using the original supplied items at first when the stripes screen began. Then tried 4 different hdmi and 4 different usb cables in total.  Sorry for the bold text. ??? Thanks

0 Kudos
jillprock
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi Renojim,  or anyone else who can help.  I've tried different cable suggestions.  The device is still frozen.  It's only 8 or 9 months old.  Can I get any more help? Thanks

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The only other thing to try is a factory reset if you haven't already.  Find the little hole for the reset button and using a paperclip or something similar press and hold the button for no less than 30 seconds with the power connected.  If still nothing, it's time to look into a warranty replacement:

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jillprock
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Of course I tried the reset button.  Several times in fact.  I started a warranty replacement on 7-31-23 :8013329.  It's been 3 weeks and I have had no response.  I tried everything, it is still frozen. Is anyone handling my issue? I'm trying to be patient but could you please let me know.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jillprock

We just wanted to express our gratitude, and at the same time, we want to profusely apologize for the delay in our response to this issue.

We were able to verify your account, and the issue has been brought to the attention of our support staff. Please be sure to keep a close eye on your email address, as that is how they will communicate with you.

If you are still in need of assistance or an update regarding this matter, do get in touch with us.

Many thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
jillprock
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi,  No apology necessary! Have been testing out my replacement Roku for almost a week now and no problems at all! It doesn't do any of the crazy things the old one did. I'm so happy with it.  I have the old one all packed up and will mail it tomorrow.  Thanks so much for the replacement. I love my Roku! Jill

0 Kudos