Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4K + compressing video

Jump to solution

I had this for about a month now, but video is getting compressed to the point where people's faces look cell shaded. There is a loss of detail that's kind of extreme.

Restarting, doesn't help, I have it connected with good or great wifi signal and over 100Mbps connection rate. This will happen when I'm the only one connected to the router.

Any idea what's going on here and if there is a fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express 4K + compressing video

Jump to solution

This is across all channels. If I stream something animated, it's not an issue, but anything that is live action has this issue. In addition, streaming the same things on my PlayStation 4 does not have this issue.

https://ibb.co/Y2Hptd0

EDIT : So I figured out what was happening, and I was at fault. When I first set up the Roku, I was not in the right headspace, and did it quickly. I did not hook the Roku up to a HDMI port with 4K support. After I switched the HDMI port everything became nice and crisp.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @1031982

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

Please be advised that each streamed channel or piece of content has its own degree of compression and its own compression artifacts prior to being sent to Roku. However, to fully assess the issue you've been experiencing, may we know if this issue is persistent on a specific channel or show on your device? If so, may we know what channel it is? Also, can you provide a photo of your device's exact issue?

With this information, we'll know what troubleshooting steps best suit the issue you've been having.

We hope to hear from you regarding this matter.

Best regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is across all channels. If I stream something animated, it's not an issue, but anything that is live action has this issue. In addition, streaming the same things on my PlayStation 4 does not have this issue.

https://ibb.co/Y2Hptd0

EDIT : So I figured out what was happening, and I was at fault. When I first set up the Roku, I was not in the right headspace, and did it quickly. I did not hook the Roku up to a HDMI port with 4K support. After I switched the HDMI port everything became nice and crisp.

0 Kudos