Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Express 4K - Streaming apps going back to Home Screen.

Just to make the ROKU Gods happy.. here is the data

Model: 3940RW- Roku Express 4K

Serial Number X01600P7GSGJ (S07R21A7GSGJ)

Software version 12.5.5 build 4174-CR

GC Version: 10.8.31

Timestamp 2024-03-02T06:21:31Z

ID GJ-088-221

My issue is EVERY streaming channel returning to home screen at random. YouTube is almost perfectly returning every 3 minutes.   Read the entire 40 pages of this thread. Solve the problem. I have tried EVERY SINGLE suggestion in this thread with no positive results. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
AnnoyedLady
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Express - Streaming apps going back to Home Screen.

@RokuKariza-D 

hi, I'm experiencing the same issue of the apps booting me back to the Home Screen.

I've been having issues with my Express device; it's almost a year old and the original problem was that the "Live TV" channel listings would frequently display "No Information Available" at random times so I know it's not an update situation. I found that a solution was to do the Restart function every time and the channel info would be restored. However, the other day, I lost connectivity completely and despite unplugging, restarting and then having to call my internet provider for a system refresh, I ended up having to reboot the device. All was well for a couple hours and then I was in the next room and realized there was silence; came back to see the Home screen. I opened another app and a few minutes later, was back on the Home screen. I'm finding that I have to do Restart several times a day because of THIS now, and it's getting ridiculous. I tried reaching out for exchange instructions and a rep called back while I was in the restroom and I tried to call THEM back several times but it's been almost a month now and the device is still malfunctioning.

I'm very disappointed in that I ~was~ really enjoying the Roku experience and was contemplating buying a Roku TV (even though I have a perfectly good TV now) but the policy of being unable to return or exchange the streaming device without permission from Roku is making me think twice about spending hundreds of dollars on a product I can't independently deal with.

Thank you for taking the time to read my comment!

0 Kudos
AnnoyedLady
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Express 4K (3940X) - Streaming apps going back to Home Screen.

@BJames ... hi, I'm intrigued, may I ask a couple questions.. when you say "old" Roku device, how old-ish is it? I got the Express mini-looking device a year ago and all was well until late January.. so I'm curious if my unit is as old or is younger and nowadays the definition of an "old" device could be 6 months LMAOOO so I'm just curious.. and also if it's "old" does it do automatic updates or can you control them? I'm formulating an idea about how everyone is doing the rebooting, resetting, blahblah and eventually the problems reoccur because the device is doing automatic, background, updates (that we're not aware of it doing bc we don't get notifications when it starts) that will eventually reinstall the bad one that's causing problems... I dunno, I'm certainly no techie but I got to seeing on the System screen where it says "Last Checked" and "Last Installed" (see my attached screenshot) and I got to brainstorming... so I'm now trying to figure out how to PREVENT it updating on the downlow in the middle of the night or something.... 

IMG_2897.jpeg

NomadVagabond
Binge Watcher

For me... My old's are non 4k devices that are more than 4 years old. My newer ones are 4k voice, uhd smart... Less than 4 years old. The newest is probably the 1 yr old voice activated 4k device .

AnnoyedLady
Streaming Star

@Yepitsme ... the express box I was having trouble with died & I replaced it but before it died, I found that disabling the bandwidth saver and the screensaver start time seemed to help; all the previous suggestions of clearing the cache, factory reset, rebooting, etc didn't have any effect at all... GL

0 Kudos
TWDay
Binge Watcher

As of a few days ago, our Roku Express (S/N X00400PCMA2K) started booting us out of Hulu, Netflix, the Roku Channel, YouTube, PBS, and tubi. This seems to have happened about the time the "Live TV" channel appeared. Yesterday, I forced an update (Software version: 12.5.0 build 4178-AE) and that didn't make any difference in the rebooting problem.

Mrbrame
Reel Rookie

Done everything in this thread and nothing has worked. Getting very frustrated.

Model 3930x

Serial x0040063fs5n (s0083073fs5n)

Software 12.5.0 build 4178-ae

Gc version 10.4.37

Issue id 5n-493-692

Help

0 Kudos
Mrbrame
Reel Rookie

So I had an older Roku box, hooked it back up and no booting me out. The latest software update has a bug. Any way to revert the box to a previous build?

mandy11
Roku Guru

Dear Carly. I for one (But there are many) have several devices on more than one network. They all have problems. My devices include Express sticks, Express 4k sticks and even one Roku Hisense TV. The only common denominator here is either the operator or the software. I can gaurentee you it's not the operator. Prove me wrong !

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We hear you, @mandy11.

Thank you for the added information. 

Rest assured that this concern has already been forwarded to the relevant team. We humbly ask for a little bit more of your patience as we work on this. 

Sincerely,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos