Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

Roku 3800X 3800RW & Tablo 4th Gen Screen Resolution

4th Gen Tablo, tried on 3 diff Roku sticks (3800X & 3800RW) that are about 5 years old. Tried on 2 older Samsung TVs and a 5 year old Insignia TV. HD channels look good, BUT 480p & 720p channels appear in very small unwatchable box in upper left corner of screen.

Next tried Tablo app on 720p TCL Roku TV. As expected, the sub channels (less than 1080p) all appear fine. They are NOT playing in tiny box in upper left corner like we’re seeing on our other higher res TVs with Roku sticks.

Next purchased a Roku Ultra and connected to Yamaha TSR-7850 AV receiver which connects to Samsung 7 Series 4K TV. All channels including 720p & 480p sub-channels appear full screen.

Tablo’s response to this issue is that it’s Roku’s problem to solve, and although I’m totally unsatisfied with that response, I’m now turning to Roku for help. I have 4 or 5 approximately 4 or 5 year old Roku “sticks” that are having this issue. I’m not excited about the prospect of having to replace all of them.

Does Roku have a “fix” for this situation?

Is there a work-around that’s better than “change Roku resolution and restart “?

Is Roku offering an upgrade deal to customers experiencing this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3800X 3800RW & Tablo 4th Gen Screen Resolution

I'm interested to see what response you'll get from anyone at Roku, but I can pretty much predict it and can only say, don't get your hopes up.  I don't have a 3800, but I do have a 3910 that exhibits this problem, although I don't recall if I tried my recently purchased Tablo on it.  On my 3910, as long as I play a 720p video first, it displays properly (I can't say that I ever tried any 480p videos).  Once I play a 1080p video, any 720p video plays in the upper left corner until a restart.  This Roku bug has been going on for years through several firmware updates.  In my case it was the HDHomeRun app where I first noticed the problem, but that wasn't the only one that had it.  I wish I could try the Tablo app on the 3910, but I won't be able to for a while.

So here's my prediction:
You'll be asked for a picture and then some other information and asked if the problem goes away after a restart (which it does).  At that point, it will be dropped or declared forwarded to some "group" and we'll never hear about it again.

As for upgrades, you can check to see if you have any offers at:
https://my.roku.com/upgrade/

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

UPDATE: I tried to delete almost all apps from my Roku sticks and yet the problem persists. So… maybe not memory related as had been suggested by Tablo as one possible cause of the issue.

0 Kudos
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

UPDATE: I had a 45+ minute chat session with a Roku customer service representative.

It went like this: Change display from auto to 1080, Run software update, Restart Roku, Rep says try it now.

Tablo low-res channels look good showing full screen (very nice). Try movie on HBO Max app HD movie showing nicely. Go back to Tablo low-res channels now reverts to appearing in an unwatchable small box in upper left corner of screen with remainder of screen bright green background.

At this point my cell phone craps out and the chat with Roku rep is of course over.

So… looks like Roku’s fix is change display settings EVERYTIME you want to watch low-res Tablo channel.

That is not a fix!

0 Kudos
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

UPDATE: The Roku Ultra seems to show 480 & 720 Tablo content nicely no matter which TV I connect it to.

So… here’s what I’ve learned:
(1) Tablo app has problems showing 480 & 720 content on some Roku devices.

(2) The problem does not seem to be related to how much memory is free on the Roku device.

(3) The problem does not occur on brand new Roku Ultra.

(4) Tablo says it’s Roku’s problem.

(5) Roku customer service is offering same old “reset display resolution”, reboot, rinse and repeat, “not a fix” fix . AND you’ll spend a painful 45 minutes in online chat with Roku only to realize you know more about the situation than the Roku csr does 😞

(6) Everyone say’s newer Roku devices don’t experience the issue BUT no one is providing any definitive details on which devices do or don’t have this issue with Tablo

So… now I’ve ordered a new Roku Streaming Stick 4K. We’ll see how well that works!!!

NOTE: my $99 Tablo cord-cutting adventure is now plus about $150 in new Roku devices.

0 Kudos
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

UPDATE: The Roku Ultra seems to show 480 & 720 Tablo content nicely no matter which TV I connect it to.

So… here’s what I’ve learned:
(1) Tablo app has problems showing 480 & 720 content on some Roku devices.

(2) The problem does not seem to be related to how much memory is free on the Roku device.

(3) The problem does not occur on brand new Roku Ultra.

(4) Tablo says it’s Roku’s problem.

(5) Roku customer service is offering same old “reset display resolution”, reboot, rinse and repeat, “not a fix” fix . AND you’ll spend a painful 45 minutes in online chat with Roku only to realize you know more about the situation than the Roku csr does.

(6) Everyone say’s newer Roku devices don’t experience the issue BUT no one is providing any definitive details on which devices do or don’t have this issue with Tablo

So… now I’ve ordered a new Roku Streaming Stick 4K. We’ll see how well that works!!!

NOTE: my $99 Tablo cord-cutting adventure is now plus about $150 in new Roku devices.

0 Kudos
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

UPDATE: New Roku Streaming Stick 4K works well on all TVs in the household.

All Tablo channels regardless of resolution (1080 vs 720 vs 480) ARE properly displayed and totally viewable.

So… my older  Roku sticks (3800 & 3800RX) are basically too old to correctly switch screen resolution as needed for the Tablo app. Unless… I want to manually change resolution in Roku and restart pretty much each time I want to watch TV via Tablo these Roku devices are now useless to me.

So… Tablo really needs to responsibly label the Tablo 4th Gen as NOT COMPATIBLE with Roku stick devices more than x years old.

Or maybe, how about a list of compatible Roku devices (by model number)?

Or maybe, how about Roku owns up to the limitations of their older devices and maybe as part of a customer retention program offers some kind of trade-in/upgrade deal?

I’m pretty sure that I would not have purchased the Tablo if I had any clue about the Roku compatibility issues I’d be facing and the hours I’d spend trying to diagnose the Tablo/Roku screen resolution problems.

I still have until Jan 31 to return the Tablo & 2 additional Roku’s I had to purchase just to evaluate the Tablo. Really disappointed with the entire saga!

0 Kudos
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

UPDATE: Latest Tablo App for Roku (0.8.401) , running on latest Roku OS (12.5.0) does NOT resolve the 480 & 730 resolution viewing issues on my Roku 3800X 3800RW sticks.

480 & 730 resolution channels are still appearing in small box in upper left with remainder of screen showing bright green.

The song remains the same!

0 Kudos
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

Another week passes without a fix or even a status update from Roku or Tablo!

0 Kudos
Jman4531
Binge Watcher

UPDATE:
Tablo 4th Gen 2 Tuner

Latest Tablo App for Roku (0.8.401)

NOW running on UPDATED Roku OS (12.5.5)

STILL does NOT resolve the 480 & 720 resolution viewing issues on my Roku 3800X 3800RW sticks.

480 & 720 resolution channels are still appearing in small box in upper left with remainder of screen showing bright green.

Hoping for Tablo Roku app update to address this issue soon!!!

EDB2B54B-04E6-4913-9884-A5F7107DC6F4.jpeg

0 Kudos