Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Curmudgeon10
Channel Surfer

Prime Video is Stuttering

Two Roku 3's, up to date software/firmware, 250MBps download, rebooted everything, just deleted the Prime apps, restarted Roku's, reinstalled Prime.  Same problem: after a few minutes Prime Video begins stuttering and becomes unwatchable.

No hardware changes to our network for a year.  Only one streaming device in use at any one time.

This problem began two weeks ago.

Threads for this problem now posted here, and previously on Xfinity and Amazon.  Recommendations seem to be all the same: reboot/restart/reinstall everything and hope it works.

I've done all that.  Now what?  Surely there must be a KNOWN , technical explanation for this issue.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Prime Video is Stuttering

@Curmudgeon10-

Your Roku 3s were extremely capable at the time of their release in 2013, but they may be reaching the point where they are underpowered and slow for running some of today's bloated apps.  Roku 3s have 512 MB of memory, while today's offerings have faster processors and  (with the exception of the bottom end non-4K Express) have 2 to 4 times the memory.

The nature of streaming apps is that their developers keep updating and adding code to their apps which causes them to use up more of the capabilities of the devices they are being streamed on.  It's possible a recent update to the Prime app has pushed it over the edge for your Rokus.  I can find no listing on the Amazon website of which Roku models they currently support.

You might possibly find Prime runs better if it is the first app you run after rebooting the Roku 3 so that you are starting with a clear memory cache.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Curmudgeon10
Channel Surfer

Thanks for weighing in.  You are the first in any of the threads to suggest that Prime's signal is too much for Roku's hardware. 

Do you think the Roku Ultra LT (2023) HD/4K/HDR will fix the problem?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@Curmudgeon10-

Your jaw will drop when you see how much more responsive the Ultra or Ultra LT is compared to your Roku 3s.  Faster processor and EIGHT times the memory so either should handle anything you throw at them.

Ultra LT is exclusive to Walmart and is a somewhat stripped down version of the Ultra.  Compared to the Ultra, the LT lacks support for Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, the Ultra's rechargeable remote with 2 programmable buttons, USB port for running media files, Bluetooth connectivity, the Ultra's longer range WiFi, and comes with generic earphones instead of JBL headphones.  As a result it does sell for somewhat less than the Ultra.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Curmudgeon10
Channel Surfer

It sounds like the solution to me.  I don't need all the bells and whistles, and the Ethernet capability will help unload my network.  Ordered a pair from Amazon.  Thanks. (Let's hope it solves the problem!).

edstevens
Reel Rookie

@Curmudgeon 

- I'm the "Stuckyville" who chimed in on your thread in the Prime forum.  After seeing your initial post here, yesterday, the first response was the only one I've seen that matched all of the complaints of various users, with the Roku 3 seeming to be the common denominator.  So I ordered the LT from Amazon, with overnight delivery.  Just finished setting it up and recovering all of my channels, then watched about 40 minutes of a show on Prime, and had no problems.  I'll post about it back on the Prime forum as well.

0 Kudos
edstevens
Reel Rookie

"Ultra LT is exclusive to Walmart"

Not so.  After seeing this thread yesterday, I purchased one from Amazon with overnight delivery.

I just finished setting it up, then watched nearly an hour of a Prime show that was giving problems yesterday.  No issues at all.

0 Kudos
Curmudgeon10
Channel Surfer

Thanks!  Mine will be arriving in several days.  Sounds promising.

Of course, Amazon is free to actually tell customers of their services that certain hardware devices MIGHT be inadequate, but that might be asking too much.

0 Kudos
edstevens
Reel Rookie

Of course, Amazon is free to actually tell customers of their services that certain hardware devices MIGHT be inadequate, but that might be asking too much.

My thoughts, exactly!

Have a blessed day.

0 Kudos
renojim

@edstevens, someone is buying them from Walmart and selling them on Amazon.  You'll notice it's a 3rd party seller, not Amazon.  The fact that you can find something on Amazon doesn't mean much.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.