Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filosofic
Reel Rookie

Plex Playback Error / Direct Play disabled

Same issue here. Tried all variations of Direct Play. No go.

Tried uninstalling Plex app and full restart from Roku System Power... System Restart.

Then reinstall Plex.  Same issues. Something is messed up with the Plex app on Roku. This does not happen on any other computer or phone. Only the Roku TV.

Will have to Chromecast from the computer to the Roku until it gets fixed.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Plex Playback Error / Direct Play disabled

Hi @filosofic,

Thanks for following the troubleshooting steps recommended.

May we ask what error code you've been receiving when accessing this channel? Also, is this the only channel that's having this issue? Does the issue persist with all your Roku devices?

If the issue remains unresolved, we'd recommend contacting Plex directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to assist effectively with their channel functionality.

Keep us posted.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
filosofic
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply.  It's the only Roku device I have so I'm unable to see if other devices have the issue.  No error code is given. The screen simply presents completely black but the video is still "rolling" as the second counter can be seen progressing. 

I've checked the codec -- HEVC -- but other videos encoded HEVC still play.  AAC audio codec & MKV container -- other videos with the same format play fine.  Very strange indeed.

I'll contact Plex as well.  Thanks for your help.  Cheers.

0 Kudos
teeterbug
Reel Rookie

I too am having this issue.  I would say, for me it started in July.  I thought it was the movie, but I was able to play the movie through Plex on my phone and computer without this error.  The error I am getting is Playback Error.  This does not happen with every movie, but it seems to be happening more and more.  

2023-10-13 20.51.19.jpg

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @teeterbug!

Worry no more, as we are more than eager to find you the best resolution possible regarding the playback issues you've been having with the Plex app on your Roku streaming device.

May we first know if there are other apps being affected by this? If so, kindly specify. Also, have you tried to check for your Internet connection's signal strength? It might be possible that your network connection is unstable, thus the playback issues. 

Furthermore, kindly highlight the app and press the star* button on your remote to update the app. 

If the issue still persists, kindly let us know, and we'd be more than happy to continue assisting you with this. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
teeterbug
Reel Rookie

Hi @RokuCarly 

It does not happen to every movie and I do not have the problem on any other app, just Roku.  My internet connection is good and I am wired connected, not wireless.

The app is showing up to date when I checked for updates.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for letting us know, @teeterbug.

Just to clarify, on what Roku streaming device you are having this issue with? 

Moreover, kindly try to perform the basic troubleshooting method by removing the app (Remove the Plex app by highlighting it and pressing the Star (*) button), rebooting your device (Restart your Roku device/TV from Settings > System > Power > System Restart), and then reinstalling it again (Select Channel Store > Search for the app > Click Add channel) to see if it will make any difference. We also need to make sure that these steps have been done precisely to work. 

We could also try to connect your device to an alternative network, such as a mobile hotspot to see if you can access the Plex app.

Let us know if the issue still occurs after performing this, and we'll go from there. In the meantime, we highly appreciate your patience and understanding as we try to resolve your occurring issue. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
filosofic
Reel Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I removed the Plex app.  Then restarted the TV from the system settings.  Then re-installed the Plex app and the problem still is the same.  No change.

My TV is a Hisense Roku branded 50 inch TV and the Plex app is the only app that I've had a problem with.  The Plex app on other computers, phones in our house works fine.

I set up a hotspot and connected the Roku TV to it, but the problems with playback on the Plex device did not change.  It still only shows a black screen while the timer at the bottom shows that the video is playing.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @filosofic.

We appreciate you for trying to perform the basic troubleshooting methods to no avail. In this case, contacting Customer Support of Plex's channel provider would be the best-recommended option. You can also contact their direct line at 855-753-9800.

Aside from this, please let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with, and we'd be more than willing to help you in the best way we can.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos