Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarazig7

Picture lag on live streaming. Roku express 3930 has no volume mode .

Is there a solution?  Have tried all the updating and restarting.  No improvement.  Is there a customer service with Roku?  My Picture lags when watching streaming live channels on paramount plus and off of my computer.  Is there any other way to access volume mode on this model?  The only options accessible under audio are auto stereo or stereo and  closed captioning.  No off, night mode....  The lack of customer service is beyond frustrating. I would never recommend this service to anyone.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Picture lag on live streaming. Roku express 3930 has no volume mode .

You didnt mention your firmware version:  Settings/System/About

To access Volume Modes:  During playback of any content (video is playing), press Options (*)/Volume mode=Leveling

(Yes, this is a very poor design and should be a menu option under Audio as well...)

0 Kudos
tarazig7

Unfortunately the * button on my system only give info and allows for adjustment of closed captioning.   The Software version is 10.5.0 build 4208-AE and when I try to update it, it says that it is current.

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

@tarazig7  Not all Roku devices have volume leveling and not all Roku TVs have that option either. But lagging is caused by weak or slow Internet connection. A Roku is a device. Netflix is a service 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

First, Roku isn't a service. They provide the hardware, and except for The Roku Channel provide no content. There is no fee to use a Roku, register a device, and add new devices to an account.

The Roku Express is the basic player, and offers no sound mode control. 

Saying your picture "lags" isn't a sufficient description of your issue. Is there a stutter? Does the picture freeze? Does the audio continue without any issues while the video is doing this? 

I don't use Paramount+, but from everything I read here the company (that's Paramount, not Roku) has done a poor job of programming their channel/app for Roku devices. If other channels/apps are working correctly on your player, then you need to contact Paramount and advise them of their issue so they can fix the playback problem in their channel.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
tarazig7

I will definitely be in contact paramount as well.  Initially I thought that was the problem but then I experienced the same thing streaming from my computer today.    I don't think it is my wifi speed because the speed checks show everything is good.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to adjust the Volume Mode on this model?  I've seen discussions identifying this as a possible solution.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@tarazig7  @Z06  @atc98092 

Volume modes are supported on your 3930 model:

https://support.roku.com/article/226802507

What devices support volume modes?

To help determine if your Roku device supports volume modes, you need to know the device model. To find this information, go to the home screen on your Roku device and select Settings > System > About.

Device Model
 Roku Streambar®  9102 
 Roku Streambar Pro  9101R2 
 Roku Smart Soundbar  9101 
 onn.™ • Roku Smart Soundbar  9100 
 Roku Express  3930 
 Roku Express+  3931 
 Roku Streaming Stick®  3800 
 Roku Streaming Stick+  3810, 3811 
 Roku Streaming Stick 4K  3820 
 Roku Streaming Stick 4K+  3821 
 Roku Premiere  3920, 4620 
 Roku Premiere+  3921, 4630 
 Roku Ultra  4660, 4661, 4662, 4670, 4800 
 Roku Ultra LT  4662, 4801 
 Roku TV™ with Roku wireless speakers 
 Note: A Roku TV does not support volume modes when Roku wireless speakers are not connected.
 All models 

Unfortunately however, there is a bug/issue with more recent versions of RokuOS and some 3930 models such that the Volume mode menu options arent available/installed (probably non-US region installs).

You need to contact Roku support directly and/or @RokuDanny-R  needs to escalate this.

https://support.roku.com/contactus  (you'll want to select an Ultra to get to chat/phone support, and provide a link to this support article).

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

@tarazig7  you own the base model Roku express which does not have those options. In order to get those options you would need to upgrade your Roku

Z06
Roku Guru

@UserOfStreamers  Volume modes and volume leveling are entirely different things. If the user presses the * button and does not see leveling then there isn’t a magical fix for it. It says all Roku TVs have it. My Hisense doesn’t have volume leveling but my TCL does. Both are running Roku 11

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

@tarazig7  Please see this link which will explain the issue you are seeing with Paramount+ 

https://downdetector.com/status/paramountplus/

0 Kudos