Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkuserva
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 & 2022 (4800X &4802R) HDCP Issue

Only interesting in the sense of something unusual. IRL it is annoying and frustrating. It literally surfaced precisely when the 4800X was upgraded to O/S 11.0.0 build 4193-C2. So I purchased the latest Ultra 4802R which completed the initial Display Type auto configuration successfully during the initial setup wizard. Then, by design the unit checked for an update which initiated the O/S 11.0.0 install. After that Auto Display would either throw a HDCP 2.2 error or throw a Dolby Vision 4K@30fps error. The Dolby Vision spec is 4K@60fps.

Clearly the HDCP 2.2 error is not actually the issue as a) all devices are HDCP 2.2 and b) the HDCP 2.2 error highly unlikely to be sporadic. Also, the same issue occurred on 2 different models in the same setup. Finally, a non Dolby Vision (older) Ultra has zero HDCP issues in the same system.

This comes down to whatever change(s) was implemented in the coding between the final O/S 10.5 build and the new O/S 11.0.0 build.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Yep… The StreamingStick 4k is having a similar issue despite literally not having a cable. It gets the HDCP error on initial access to live content and sometimes requires a reboot to clear. There’s also a lost audio issue on Ultras after an extended pause. All 11.0 issues.

rkuserva
Reel Rookie

Looks like Roku needs to do a little better QC. I am always willing to consider any device having either some hardware issue or a less than ideal firmware upgrade. However, in this instance, literally the only thing that changed was the O/S on 2 different models.

The problem arises when the DISPLAY TYPE auto configures so power cycling is ineffective. Trying to force the setting to 4K Dolby Vision ends with the result that it is only supported at 30hz not 60hz as per spec.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Two of the three issues are excusable. The stick HDCP issue is only on certain TVs, not all sticks. And the Ultra audio issue is only after unusually long pauses. Neither would typically be picked up in QC testing typically.  Your issue? I’m not sure. Depends if it’s across the board on Dolby Vision or just in certain scenarios.

0 Kudos
anon_user_28197
Reel Rookie

Re: Daily HDCP Error Since Firmware 11 Update

Ever since my Roku Streaming Stick 4K updated to Roku OS version 11.0, I've had HDCP error 020 any time I try to play any live TV or movies/shows on multiple channels like DirecTV Stream, HBO Max, Vudu, Hulu and others.  Prior to the Roku OS update, everything worked fine.  For me, none of the troubleshooting steps helped to resolve the issue.

Roku's display autodetect gets stuck at HDCP detection, even though all my TV's ports are HDCP 2.2.  TV is an LG B6 OLED.  HDMI Ultra HD deep color is enabled on all ports.  HDCP error occurs on port 4.  Did not test all ports.  The strange thing is when I switch the device to another HDMI port (port 2), it works fine with no error.  Switch back to port 4, get error.  Even after restarting TV and device.  Still, it used to work fine on the other port, but doesn't since 11.0 update.  My Fire TV Stick 4K continues to work just fine (live TV and movies play at 4K resolution and HDR) on the same port that the Roku gives an HDCP error.  Tested with direct connection to port, no cable.  Both Roku and Fire sticks are powered by TV's USB port.  Not sure if that matters.

I hope the info I provided helps.  I will not be providing unique device ID and serial numbers publicly.  The tracker ID didn't work for me (no code popped up).  I just hope Roku fixes this soon.  It's been months now without a fix and that's just way too long, IMO.  Great device, BTW....when it works.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

There are no “troubleshooting steps”. They know it’s a firmware issue. When it happens hit home, then home five times and then back five times and report what’s on your screen. 

You can restart the Stick to usually resolve it.

0 Kudos
anon_user_28197
Reel Rookie

Restarting stick didn't resolve the error for me.  Tried multiple times.  Only thing that worked is switching HDMI ports.  But like I mentioned, switching back to the original port yields the error again. 

Troubleshooting steps are the ones shown on the full screen error message, mostly unplugging and powering off/on device, cables and TV in a certain order.  Again, the steps to acquire the tracker ID (home/back 5 times) didn't work for me.  Nothing shows on screen.

If they know it's a firmware issue, it's sure taking a long time for them to fix it.  I'm good for now, since it works on at least one of my HDMI ports.  Just wanted to chime in with the details of my case in case they read this and it helps them fix it, or helps someone else.  Switching HDMI ports may be a workaround for some, like it is for me, until a working OS update is pushed out.

0 Kudos
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

When the error happens get to the Home Screen and do home 5x and back 5x. You’ll get a box detailing the time of your issue.

0 Kudos
99X
Channel Surfer

Lol I still can’t believe they haven’t fixed this yet. I just used a roku I haven’t used in a while tonight (ultra 2020). The only work around I’ve found is never letting your roku device go to sleep in power settings. This is obviously a firmware issue. I just put my other two to on all the time. 

0 Kudos
LL654

Re: Roku worked a few months; now every time I turn it on I have to fix Error 020. Ridiculous! Help!

I have the same problem. Worked fine, now HDCP error EVERY time. I unplugged all HDMi cables, every power cord, reset my wifi, waited about 15 minutes, plugged everything back in. Same error. So I tried a different HDMI port. Worked once, then same error. What can I do? This is driving me nuts!!!! 

0 Kudos