Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Logan5
Binge Watcher

Re: My Roku Ultra keeps restarting

My 2020 Ultra does something similar:  It frequently freezes, especially when trying to fast forward or rewind, and after a lengthy pause with the unit completely locked up, it eventually reboots itself.  This happens frequently and on many different apps.  I’ve also experienced pretty frequent instances where it just crashes to the home screen in the middle of streaming something.  I’ve tried everything except a factory reset, and it makes no difference.

The freezing when rewinding or fast forwarding makes me wonder if a buffer is overflowing or something, since I presume there would be a small buffer for this purpose, but I’m just guessing.

I’ve had many Rokus in the past, and they’ve all been pretty much bulletproof.  This new Ultra, though, is really shaky.  I’ve never seen so many bugs and glitches with a Roku unit before.  It’s so bad, I manually check for system updates several times a day, hoping in vain that a firmware update will appear that will fix this madness.

wgthomas

@NJB wrote:

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I've been having the same issue for a few weeks now and am considering trashing the device for something new at this point. It does it the most when I'm on YouTube but it will occasionally do it with HBO Go and Netflix. It took me an hour to get through a 40 min episode today because it kept restarting.

I recently upgraded my old but rock solid Roku 3 to the Roku Ultra and I'm having the same aggravating issue. I'll be in the middle of a movie or program and the Roku Ultra reboots for no reason. This happens every darn day and makes this product a total piece of junk. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@wgthomas

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mikie77

Model   4660X - Roku Ultra

Serial Number - Yj009D6368773

Device ID - CK3929638773

Software Version - 9.4.0 build 4200-46

It has occurred on Youtube TV, HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, CBS All Access, Paramount+, Discovery+, Curiosity Stream, STARZ, and HULU.  It has been happening for a couple of months now.  I was suspecting the 2GB Memory Card since sometimes after the restart, it looks like it is reloading the app (it takes some time anyway).

I I have changed out the HDMI cable, done soft reboots, hard reboots, and done a factory reset.  I've reinitialized the 2GB memory card but nothing seems to work

I I have to wait until the next reboot to try the Home button 5 times and the Back button 5 times.

I I haven't been able to cause it to reproduce the issue.  It usually happens when I am casually watching and switch from one app to another.

0 Kudos
kisco
Reel Rookie

I have been dealing with Roku support for over a week on this. Numerous resets, etc. A Streaming Stick + is fine, which rules out all of their excuses about my internet question.but nothing works with the

Time to dump Roku!

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@kisco wrote:

I have been dealing with Roku support for over a week on this. Numerous resets, etc. A Streaming Stick + is fine, which rules out all of their excuses about my internet question.but nothing works with the

Time to dump Roku!

Your thought seems incomplete.

What is the issue you are having specifically?

0 Kudos
kisco
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra spontaneously turns off and reboots. After 30 - 90 seconds will restart at Home screen.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@kisco wrote:

Roku Ultra spontaneously turns off and reboots. After 30 - 90 seconds will restart at Home screen.

What is model # and firmware version? Settings/System/About

If you just purchased it, you might consider returning it for a refund/exchange.

0 Kudos
kisco
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra - 

Software version was 10.0 build 4209-C2 before factory reset (which did not fix issue).

All settings info provided to Roku support. No issues at all!

Purchased several months ago, but box opened and installed gor the 1st time on 7/2/21.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@kisco wrote:

Roku Ultra - 

Software version was 10.0 build 4209-C2 before factory reset (which did not fix issue).

All settings info provided to Roku support. No issues at all!

Purchased several months ago, but box opened and installed gor the 1st time on 7/2/21.

What is the model # (not name):  Settings/System/About

Providing the settings to support is useful for Roku CS, but it doesnt really do any good here in the community (this is user-based support primarily).

Based upon the described bahavior, I again recommend returning this to place of purchase if you still can for a refund/exchange.

Otherwise, get an RMA from Roku CS and proceed through that process.

(Advice:  Always test/check CE (Consumer Electronics) as soon as you purchase to verify packaging contents/basic state of the hardware/software)

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.