Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rc6
Streaming Star

Re: Max App pause and playback issue, unsolved? :(

It's possible WBD is waiting until they add the CNN hub to Max on September 27 to roll out an app update that fixes this issue. If not, it's hard to understand why they haven't fixed it by now. I've been checking the Max app on my Roku Ultra every couple of days for updates, but there has been nothing recently.

0 Kudos
dragonboots2005
Roku Guru

I bought 2 new Express 4K+ Rokus a month ago and noticed 1 of them it works fine and the other one has the pause/rewind issue.  They are both exactly alike so I don't get it.  

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dragonboots2005,

Thank you for posting here at the Roku Community!

We seem to have limited information about the issue you're running into. May we know if the playback issue is happening on the Max app? or was it for another channel(s)? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

With elaborate details, we'll be able to provide the best resolution possible.

Best regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rc6
Streaming Star

You cannot just pause/resume one time and conclude the issue doesn't exist. It is INTERMITTENT and can depend on other factors like how far into the program you are and how long you leave it paused before you resume.

0 Kudos
aaron_digital
Reel Rookie

@rc6 wrote:

It's possible WBD is waiting until they add the CNN hub to Max on September 27 to roll out an app update that fixes this issue. If not, it's hard to understand why they haven't fixed it by now. I've been checking the Max app on my Roku Ultra every couple of days for updates, but there has been nothing recently.

The iOS app has been updated at least 4 times since this thread was started, most recently updated 4 days ago! 🤔😭

0 Kudos
rc6
Streaming Star

Does the iOS app even have this issue? This thread is about the version running on the Roku. In any event, there should be a major update to the Max app when they add the CNN hub on September 27,

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

1) I like your comment @rc6, but perhaps it is overly optimistic that they will fix this by the time WBD adds the CNN live news stream. I was thinking that there may be a correlation between this rollout and the glitch due to WBD making adjustments to the channel over the last month to prepare for this new additional feature. And because the engineers are busy rolling this out, which they have to accomplish by the deadline of September 27th, perhaps they haven't been able to devote their full attention to this issue, but they probably will after the rollout. Or perhaps there is a team fully working on this as best as they can, but I would think there could possibly be a delay in getting this fix out to us due to it being difficult for them to verify if they're successful since it's an intermittent glitch. And so, we just have to be patient.

Well, Portalogem, what does being overly pessimistic look like?

Oh, you're not going to like the answer to that. No ... no ... no. Years ago, when Hulu had the crash go back to home screen glitch -- whenever the Roku back remote button was pressed, that issue lasted around six to seven months, but I was semi-okay with this because as long as I avoided the back button, I could at least stream the content without issue. This Hulu issue has since been fully resolved, but these glitches can, unfortunately, take time, especially if they are intermittent. But Max is working on this, especially since this is a multi-platform bug, so hopefully, your optimism proves to be correct in the end.

2) Since this is a cross-platform issue, then yes, sadly, according to @aaron_digital, Apple TV appears to also have this glitch, even though they keep updating their Max channel to no avail. And on Roku, Max did at least have one update last month after the glitch rolled out, which did nothing.

3) Even though your one twin Roku @dragonboots2005 may appear not to have this glitch on the Max channel, over time, the working hypothesis is that the glitch would develop on the other Roku. But this piques my curiosity since I have Rokus I haven't used since the Max glitch happened. So, once I'm ready to watch a movie on Max, and if the glitch presents itself by that future time on the Roku I currently use, I will then switch to a different Roku and resume the movie to see if those Roku devices glitch.

However, I really don't think this has to do with a bad update, in which lucky Rokus that have been off (or not auto-updating) during that time wouldn't have received the glitch since a newer, better Max update had since rolled out, meaning perhaps you were lucky if this happened to your other Roku during that time the bad update hit your one Roku. I would think that this would be highly unlikely because the fix I shared should, therefore, have worked had this been a device issue -- pending that on the affected Roku, Max had been logged out and hadn't auto-logged itself back in. That is the sticking point in all of this. If you did try my suggestion @jnyerere89, but your Roku(s) did not log itself out for whatever reason, the fix I suggested wouldn't have worked, hence the question mark on the subject line. I believe that either the one Roku that was affected or perhaps all your Rokus must be logged out and continue to remain logged out of Max for my suggestion to work if I happen to be right about that. As then you would delete the Max channel(s from all your Rokus), remove and format the micro SD card(s from all Rokus) (if relevant), restart (all Rokus), reload the Max channel(s), log back in, and reinsert the micro SD card(s) (if relevant).

Since this is also affecting various streamers across platforms, which I would think would make this speculation even more unlikely, it could be possible, yet highly improbable, that the bad update affected most of them as well by which they also would need to be logged out and remain logged out and so on. So, if this instead is true, and your one Roku wasn't affected, and the fix I posted doesn't work, then count your lucky stars, do the jumba wumba dance (I really thought I made that up until I Googled it), and just use the Roku that wasn't affected until an update rolls out to fix the affected Rokus, which hopefully is not in six or seven months.

4) Till there is a fix, I have learned this workaround from another forum (perhaps it has already been mentioned in this thread) in which if you press the instant replay button instead of the play button, you may be able to avoid this glitch. But my problem with these workarounds is that I forget to use them, so I'm wondering if, instead, I can press the instant replay button before pausing the movie and have the same result. I have yet to try this, but if this workaround works for you all, let us forgetful ones know. I'll let you know once I'm ready to watch that Max movie, but since I rarely watch Max and have had a busy month, this may be a while, and by then, hopefully, this will have been resolved. 

0 Kudos

Re: Max App pause and playback issue

I have an additional workaround that doesn’t require rewinding. Press an Arrow button to get the progress bar to show, then Select or Play/Pause. I have no idea why but that stops it jumping back for me. Hope it helps!

0 Kudos
dragonboots2005
Roku Guru

I'll try that.  I've been hitting the back button to where the video stops playing and shows the episode & description or movie main page

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

HBO released a new version of the MAX app today, so that might resolve the issue. For those that has had the issue, give it a try. Go into the settings and do a manual update check to immediately get the new version, in case it hasn't been updated yet. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.