Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PnGuin
Binge Watcher

Issues with media playback through Plex on Roku

I encountered an issue yesterday playing back recently added media from my Plex server on my Roku players.  Playback works fine through my PC.

• Content added to the plex server on or before 12-27 plays fine (Movie and TV libraires). 
  • ALL Content added on and after 12-28 has the same problem when played using my Roku players; Episode / Movie will start fine, then after ~5-6 minutes it stops. 
  • If I attempt to stop / resume the content it will spin up to ~33-46% but go no further.  After a long wait I get "This Video isn't supported for direct play" error message.
  • When I change the video direct play setting on the Plex Roku app from "Forced" to "Disable" I get the same "This Video isn't supported for direct play" error message.
  • When I change the video direct play setting on the Plex Roku app from "Disable" to "Auto" I get the same "This Video isn't supported for direct play" error message.
  • When I disable "Direct Play" on my Plex Server I get the error message "App cannot direct play this item. Direct play is disabled." (As you would expect.)
  • Issue is repeatable on All of my Roku players (4660RW, 4660X, 4640X and 4630X). 
  • All are using the latest SW (Roku SW updated and Plex app is up to date).
  • Plex Server SW is up to date

When I play the same content back on my PC it works fine - no issues. When I play content added on or before 12-27 it works fine on my Roku - no issues. I am able to play, resume the episode / movie on the PC from where it stopped AND I can resume episodes that stopped on the Roku from my PC. 

Media added before and after 12-27 was processed the exact same way (no changes to software I'm using).  

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
ChippyTech
Streaming Star

Re: Issues with media playback through Plex on Roku

There could be a few different things causing the issue you're experiencing with your Roku players. Here are a few potential causes and troubleshooting steps you could try: Check your network connection: Make sure that your Roku players and your Plex server are connected to a stable and fast network. If the network connection is slow or unstable, it could cause issues with playback. Check the media file itself: It's possible that the media files you are trying to play are corrupted or not properly encoded. You may want to try transcoding the media files using a different software to see if that resolves the issue. Check the settings on your Plex server: Go to the settings on your Plex server and ensure that the "Direct Play" and "Direct Stream" options are enabled for the type of media you are trying to play. You may also want to try disabling the "Optimize for streaming" option. Check for any updates to the Plex app on your Roku: Make sure that you are using the latest version of the Plex app on your Roku players. You can check for updates in the "My Channels" section of the Roku home screen. Restart your Roku players and your Plex server: Sometimes simply restarting the devices can resolve playback issues. If none of these steps help, you may want to try reaching out to the Plex support team for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or help you identify the cause of the issue.
0 Kudos
Its_j_a_s

I am having the same issue. I tried the same fixes you did and couldn’t get it to work. I didn’t check the added dates to see if that was a factor. But the files play fine on a different TV when I use the Plex app built into my Sony. But when I try and use the Plex app on the Roku ( different rooms) I can’t get the file to play. I’ve rebooted my servers, I’ve checked for updates, I’ve checked the settings and I’ve rebooted the Roku. I can’t figure it out. 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Its_j_a_s

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! Does the issue only occur on the Plex channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

How long has the issue existed? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
PnGuin
Binge Watcher

I still have NO idea what / why / how this occurred, but here is what I did to fix it.  

Again, I was only seeing this issue with media I processed and added to my server on 12-28 and 12-29, and ONLY when playing them on the Roku Plex app. (I did not see the issues when playing on the Windows PC Plex App.)

I deleted from my server and re downloaded / re process the media files from those two days. The new media files worked fine. There was no SW update to the SW I use to process my media files, and the old files played fine on every other player combination I tried other than Roku. 

I haven't seen the issue with any flies before or after this one odd incident. Maybe my barista accidently gave me decaf on those two days - that explanation makes as much sense as anything I've been able to come up with. 

0 Kudos
twbell

Had a similar issue: media playback OK on all devices outside Roku.  Solution: in your Plex server, ensure Advanced->Passthrough = 'disabled'. 

0 Kudos
RanAndTonya
Channel Surfer

My experience was similar.  I can play 720p mp4 with no problem but can not play 1080p mp4 without buffering every 30 sec.  Video plays fine when playing from Plex on my laptop (wifi). I feel like it has to be a poor data transfer rate. 
Am using a new Roku Streaming Stick. 

0 Kudos