Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BretKrum
Channel Surfer

Intermittent operation. A/V shuts off intermittently

My Roku continuously loses all video and audio briefly. It disappears for about 2 seconds then returns. This happens almost every 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes it will be alright for about 30 minutes. I just purchased all new HDMI cables. I use a switch box which has worked fine with all devices. I moved the Roku to a different input. No change. I took the Roku out of the switch box and put it directly to a TV HDMI. No change. I changed the power brick. No change. I did a factory reset No change. I moved the device. I tried every location possible except hanging it from the ceiling with sky hooks.  No change. Every other device works fine under any configuration. The issue started about a week ago. It's a Roku 4K+. Model 3941X. S/N X016004N3VJX. Software versn 10.5.0 build 4208-CR Device ID S07P514N3VJX

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Intermittent operation. A/V shuts off intermittently

@BretKrum 

Does "moved the device" include to a TV in a different room? If that an option?

Based on what you're saying, it indicates the Roku Express 4K+ you have may be bad. But testing on a different TV in a different room may yield a different enough result to point somewhere else. But I don't have a good feeling about this.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

That to me sounds like your are losing your WiFi connection. How fast is your internet? Go to settings/ network and run a check connection test. What does it say for signal strength and speed? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@BretKrum 

Try disabling Roku's adapter refresh. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Auto-adjust display refresh rate/ Off).

---

While you are at it, I would also disable Roku Power Savings features which seems to be causing more unknown/unrelated issues than it is solving. (Settings/System/Power/Power Savings).  Probably not an issue in your case, but may ward off future issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

BretKrum
Channel Surfer

Did that  It is definitely not a main power issue because the power LED stays lit through the whole thing.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@BretKrum    Did you run a check connection test? If so what are your speeds?

0 Kudos
BretKrum
Channel Surfer

10Mbps. It has worked for a long time. This issue just started. Android box works fine. Firestick works fine. SmartTV works fine. Samsung Blu-Ray works fine.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@BretKrum  BINGO. Your Roku is losing its WiFi signal because either your Internet is too slow or your Roku is too far away from your modem. You’re barely even meeting minimum streaming specs. And it will probably drop much lower than more devices are being used on your Wi-Fi. FCC states that’s 25 Mbps is considered high-speed Internet. Exactly how fast is your Internet that you’re paying for? Can you upgrade your speed? Can you relocate your modem closer to your Roku? How many devices are currently hooked to your network? I just ran a check connection test on my TCL Roku TV and I am getting 192 Mbps. I am paying for a 500 Mbps internet connection. Look at all the steps you have taken and various advice. The one MAIN import thing you have not addressed is your bandwidth. 

0 Kudos
BretKrum
Channel Surfer

Not questioning your statement but why has everything been working fine for about 2 years? Same number of devices, same network. Nothing new. Nothing changed but the functioning of the Roku.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

That does not matter. 10 Mbps is no where near enough bandwidth to support multiple devices. Do you live alone? Is your modem far away from your Roku? How many devices are currently on your network? My girlfriends was having similar issues. After running several speed checks I found her internet dipped down to 6 Mbps and her Roku would black out. She upgraded her internet from 15 Mbps to 500 Mbps (deal). Problem gone. Follow this bandwidth calculator. I bet if you keep running a check connection test you will see lower than 10 Mbps. Go to fast.com on your laptop or phone. What does it say?

https://broadbandnow.com/bandwidth-calculator

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/internet-speed-what-you-need,news-24289.html

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.