Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: How to stop my Roku device from overheating

Jump to solution

The “serious” was a mock. Who in there right mind would do that on such a cheap device? Where is your TV mounted? Above a furnace? Again I own 4 Roku sticks. None ever overheat. I of them are just sitting there behind the tv. 
B8D8918B-0035-41F3-A5AA-03B8E2F87604.jpeg

0 Kudos
wannagosleddin
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

BillieAnnie my Roku is no where near a furnace (mock). I bought a new stick and will give it another chance.

0 Kudos
RushMan856
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Count yourself lucky, if yours isn't overheating.  Some of the earlier models used a chip that was susceptible to overheating than newer models which run cooler. 

And if you read my comment from January 6th, I explain the defect - over time, the heat sink compound inside the device changes shape and no longer makes contact between the chip and the internal metal foil, meant to dissipate the heat. 

As for modifying a cheap device, 50 bucks is a lot of money, to keep throwing out the window.  Why would anyone keep buying defective goods when an inexpensive fix permanently repairs the problem?

As for your snarky "furnace" comment, the overheating happened in winter time, when it was 66F in my house.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RushMan856  Sure dude. 👍🏻 There are millions of Roku sticks sold across this country with zero issues. If my Roku was ever over heating and out of warranty in the garage it would go. No ordinary person is going to glue a CPU heat sink and fan onto a $50 little stick. Heck people can’t even turn on their TV’s without needing tech support. You took your Roku apart and looked inside. Do you really think the average person is going to do this? Seriously? Time is money. The time an effort you spent into modifying your Roku isn’t worth it. It would take me about 20 minutes to run to Best Buy, Target or Walmart and pick up a new Roku and be streaming in a fraction of the time it took you, 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about how to prevent your Roku devices from overheating, we would recommend taking a look at the information provided by our Support page here: Fix an overheating issue

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rokszurk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

To deal with the problem of my Roku Premier device overheating I've tried to order a free HDMI extender, as advised. But every time I complete the form, including the Serial Number 026298A528473 that is on my Roku Premiere device, and click Continue, I get back the warning that the SN, which I've checked again and again and again and again, is incorrect, and have to start completing the form all over, only to find that the system again rejects the SN. What can I do? 

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rokszurk  The HDMI extender is for Roku Sticks. Not a Premier box. The Sticks sit against the tv causing some to overheat. Yours can sit on an entertainment center away from the TV. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@rokszurk, the extender is only available (and useful) for a Roku stick that plugs directly into the TV without the need for an HDMI cable.  It would accomplish nothing for your Premiere, hence why it's not available.  If you've relocated your Premiere to where it gets better air flow and it still overheats you should look into a warranty return (assuming it's still under warranty).

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
rokszurk
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the explanation. My Premier box does sit away from our TV yet, for the first time in using the Roku Premier over two years, we got a warning on the screen that it was overheating, and that I should lookup what to do, where I found the advice to get an extender. Following your explanation, I'll just have to keep unplugging it every time the warning re-appears and the device feels hot.

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@rokszurk  How old is your Roku? What is the model number? You may just want to replace it. Any device that is working will produce heat. Is your Roku near a heater? Near any source of heat? 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.