Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Overheating

Jump to solution

Hey @kajal_das

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

To resolve the overheating issue, we would recommend trying the steps below:

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:
    • Inside a cabinet or other closed space;
    • On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers; 
    • In direct sunlight.
  3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power on. If you still see the above message or the Roku player shows a SOLID RED LIGHT, then immediately unplug the power cable.
  4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, then you should stop using your Roku player.

If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, you can try installing a free HDMI extender to help move it away from the back of your TV.

Let us know if this works for you!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
dreamn

Re: Overheating

Jump to solution

Your official reply to the issue of overheating is cowardly and worthless.  Why can the well paid engineers at Roku not fix the problem?

I purchased the Roku branded soundbar and streambar and have had no overheating problems for months now.

However, a friend was visiting today and related how her streaming stick will only work for 15-30 minutes before going to a black screen.  I was reminded of the problem and so I have come here thinking that perhaps there is something new that will remedy the problem.   Nope...still the lame copy/paste that has no long lasting effect on the problem.

I really think you can do better.

0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Streaming Star

Re: Overheating - my experience with it

Jump to solution

I have had overheating issues with my Roku Express (box-style) units and my Roku sticks.  It seemed to happen randomly; no pattern to it.  I made sure they were not overheating due to the TV or location.  I finally bought some small self-adhesive heat sinks on eBay and stuck them on and the problem was minimized.  

It may be an engineering problem at Roku.  If you design something to plug into a TV you should expect some ambient heat shouldn’t you?  No excuses for the Express (box-style) units though.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JimmyGee

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

For your Roku sticks, we would recommend installing a free HDMI extender to help move it away from the back of your TV.

When filling up the HDMI extender form, make sure to put the serial number which can be located by navigating to Settings > System > About

Let us know if you need more help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JimmyGee
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Re: My Roku stick (Model 3920) keeps displaying that the device is overheating

Jump to solution

I also have a Roku model 3920 that is overheating after just over a year of use. We have not moved the device, it is in a cool area and this has never been an issue before. It’s hot to the touch but no red light only flashing green. Can we get any advice on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: My Roku stick (Model 3920) keeps displaying that the device is overheating

Jump to solution

@jacksavage7890

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
alnagy
Reel Rookie

Re: Overheating from short HDMI?

Jump to solution

Danny

Hey I'm having overheating problems on my Roku basic. Can I get a HDMI extender as I read this is a solution to my problems. Thanks AlNagy

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@alnagy, there's no such model as "Roku basic".  What's the model shown under Settings->System->About?  If it's not a stick that plugs directly into an HDMI input on your TV without an HDMI cable then it's not a stick and the extender will do absolutely nothing.

Oh, and edit your post and remove your email address.  You're just opening yourself up to scammers.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
alnagy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the heads up on my email address. My Roku receiver sits on my tv cabinet and plugs into the HDMI on my Visio TV. It really gets hot but still streams video. Didn't one poster say the tv heat transfers thru the shortie cable to the mini Roku? You know probably shouldn't fix it if it ain't broke. 

0 Kudos