Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Viva11
Reel Rookie

How to fix HDCP Error Detected 020

I did the troubleshooting advised but still get the HDCP error... can this error happen out of the blue, when it never came up before?

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Ronnego
Channel Surfer

Re: How to fix HDCP Error Detected 020

That’s how ours started. Out of the blue. One thing that seems to help is not waiting for the screen to load. As soon as the tv power goes on press “Home”, right and select on the remote. Getting it engaged right away seems to avoid the error problem for us. If I forget to do this and wait like I used to, I’ll get the error message. Hope this helps. 

Viva11
Reel Rookie

Thank you for this info, will definitely try it. It's interesting because when the error screen comes on and I click "ok" or "home" I do see the show for a second before the screen goes blank again, so seems more like a technical glitch than an actual format issue. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Ronnego
Channel Surfer

Also, if you put your most used icon in the upper left of the menu it will always open that one even before you can see anything. 

Viva11
Reel Rookie

Good tip... Thanks!

0 Kudos
Viva11
Reel Rookie

Wow I tried your tip and it worked! Thank you very much!! I just need to remember to do that every time I start Roku up.

0 Kudos
Ronnego
Channel Surfer

It took me a while to remember too. But once I got in the habit it made things so much easier. It is obviously some kind of glitch in the Roku software. My husband always did this naturally and never had the error problem that I always got. It was only luck that led to this solution. Maybe someday Roku will fix the problem. 

KJSS
Roku Guru

I just got a new stream bar pro.  I am getting this message every so often.  Never had this problem on a TCL roku tv series 4.  Or my 2019 ultra.  I am at a relatives house.  I will see if the problem clears up after I return home.

0 Kudos
KJSS
Roku Guru

I got the same hdcp error twice.  I unplugged the hdmi from the tv and back in with out power off or restart the tv or streambar pro.  Error went away.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @KJSS

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If you are seeing the "HDCP Error Detected" message or purple screen for the first time after setting up your Roku player, ensure that your TV and/or AVR or soundbar supports HDCP.  For additional information visit the link below:
What to do if you see an “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Karla