Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Curmudgeon10
Channel Surfer

Getting Roku Ultra to Function Using an HDMI Switch

I am trying to set up a "two in - one out" mechanical HDMI switch, letting me choose between audio/video from a Roku Ultra, or a Playstation 4.  The HDMI switch is manufactured by GANA and has lots of five star reviews.

I have all the latest and greatest HDMI cables.

When I configure the Roku as the single input to the switch, and the switch to output to the Visio Smart TV, everything works fine.  When I do the same solo configuration with the Playstation, it works fine too.

When I connect both PS4 and Roku Ultra to the switch, I can turn on the Roku and the signal is sent to the TV.  I can then switch over to PS4, turn it on, and PS4 audio/video appears on the TV.

The problem occurs when I want to return to the Roku.  Once I press the button on the switch to revert to the Roku input, I get a "No Signal Detected" on the TV.  If I shut down the Playstation, the No signal detected message remains.  If I DISCONNECT the PS4 from the switch altogether (essentially duplicating the "solo" configuration I tested at the beginning), the error message remains.  Only by completely removing the switch from the Roku and routing Roku audio/video to the TV through a dedicated HDMI cable do I regain functions.

There seem to be some "smart" things going on here this dummy doesn't get.

I really want a reliable way to switch between these two sources, as the devices are in a built-in, and manually switching the TV input HDMI is a real pain.  Anyone have an idea what is going on, and how it might be fixed?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Getting Roku Ultra to Function Using an HDMI Switch

Does it never switch back and forth reliably?  In other words, if you switch to the PS4 and then immediately back to the Roku does it work?  If it only happens after being switched to the PS4 for an extended period, it may be the "power saving" feature of the Ultra (there are a few different models designated "Ultra" and I don't know if they all have that feature).  If it is power saving, pressing a button on the Roku remote like Home a couple of times should wake it.  You can also disable it (if it's there) under Settings->System->Power.

I've used my Ultra 4800 through a cheap HDMI switch without any problem.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.