Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WE147
Channel Surfer

'Device was removed' message

Jump to solution

Several times I have turned my TV on and I get a message saying "device was removed". The Roku automatically reconnects after about 10 seconds.

No loss of power, no disconnection was ever made, and the device is firmly plugged in. 

This occurs about once a week on average and is a device only a few months old.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 'Device was removed' message

Jump to solution

@WE147, many (most?) TV USB ports can't supply enough power for a Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yeah, I would plug the Roku into the power adapter into the wall.  If you ever see the “USB device was removed” after that, you’ll know its not related to the Roku.

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@WE147-

If your Roku has a "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" setting, try disabling it.

More info on this setting: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
WE147
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

It was checked so I tried that and will see if that helps.

Just to reiterate, when I had the issue described, the TV had been off for hours, not a lack of use issue. Hopefully this will correct it and now, just to check, I will look at the other Roku in the house and see if they are the same since they do not have the problem.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

My guess is that unless they are connected to the same model of TV, then you won’t see a 'Device was removed' message.  I don’t recall hearing of such a message from a TV before and I didn’t have much luck doing a web search for: “TV 'Device was removed'”  (In fact the first Bing match for that was this thread.)

One result I got was: “Dog sat on dev remote am getting USB device was removed”

Does it say USB in your message????  That message would be fairly common in the USB context.  (In the HDMI context, TVs usually say something like “no signal”.)  By any chance is your Roku powered by the TV’s USB port?

0 Kudos
WE147
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

As luck would have it, I received the message tonight and yes, it did say "USB device was removed".

The Roku device is plugged into the USB port for power. Obviously the earlier suggestion did not keep the error from happening. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@WE147, many (most?) TV USB ports can't supply enough power for a Roku device.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yeah, I would plug the Roku into the power adapter into the wall.  If you ever see the “USB device was removed” after that, you’ll know its not related to the Roku.

WE147
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I recall that being an issue with another TV but was able to determine that during initial setup. This one had no problems for a while and it never even crossed my mind.

thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
WE147
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos