Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Menotyoueither
Reel Rookie

Commercials freezing after playing

Watching a movie on the Roku channel, and everytime straight talk wireless commercial it freezes and does not return to the movie at the very end of the commercial.  The “comedian” advertising is obnoxious enough, but having the same commercial play and freeze Everytime in the same spot is even more obnoxious.

also, being able to pass this along to an agent rather than posting in a community forum would anger me far less… I hate automated loops on phones and I hate them on the internet also.  Hire people to handle the issue and quit putting people in loops that just anger them.

43 REPLIES 43
cfaytay
Reel Rookie

Re: Commercials freezing after playing

Mine is doing the same thing - although after multiple different ads, and not during a movie, but after a series. No way to get help from Roku. I don't know what to do

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Commercials may have different resolutions or refresh rates than the programs they are inserted into.  The TV must adjust to each of these changes, and sometimes that can lead to problems.

Under Roku menu path "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" does your Roku have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item?   If it does, see if disabling this setting helps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Menotyoueither
Reel Rookie

It was off, so I tried turning it on… no difference.

0 Kudos
cfaytay
Reel Rookie

Absolutely no difference (my issues right now are on the Roku Chanel) However, if I am on the ball, and hit the back button right at the start of the commercial, then the play button, it goes into a commercial, but I only have to watch about 45 to 30 seconds of commercials, versus the 2 minutes normally played, and they don't freeze. So, just have to be prepared I guess.

I just started experiencing the same thing. I have to watch 2 minutes of commercials that I care nothing for, and when the counter hits 0:00 the screen locks up. I hit the Back button, click Resume, then I have to watch 2 more painstaking minutes of terrible commercials. At the end of 2 minutes, sometimes my program continues to play, sometime it freezes again, so I have reset, resume, then watch 2 more minutes of commercials. How about just fixing it to where we don't have to watch commercials? What's wrong with playing a show for the entire run time? If you have to play commercials, do it at the beginning before the show starts, or after the show ends? Play them between the start of episodes. Just wanted to post here and let you know how much we all hate commercials. We hate them even more when we have to endure 4 to 6 minutes of them unnecessarily, but only getting to enjoy 2 minutes blips of the actual program that we tuned in to see in the first place. We all started streaming to get away from having you watch commercials. It defeats that purpose when we have to watch more commercials than the program we logged in to watch.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mike-D_in_WNC,

Greetings from the Roku community!

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry about the issues you're having with ads playing on your Roku device. We'd like to find out more about it so that we can more effectively assist you. Please provide us with additional information.

• Is this happening on all content or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel?
  • Are you getting error messages or error codes while trying to play content?
  • Does it happen on a specific commercial or does it happen randomly?
  • Do you have any other Roku devices? If yes, are the other Roku device(s) experiencing the same playback issue?

We look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences. Your feedback helps us continue to improve.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
KenTen

In my case,   it happens on the Roku channel (other channels I watch don't have commercials).   Happens randomly, but more often than not.   Doesn't depend on which commercials were shown.  I do not have any other Roku devices.

0 Kudos
Anangel4u2
Reel Rookie

Happens only on Roku show commercials, commercial plays leaves a button up to start a new subscription for another platform like starz etc, if you click ok takes you to a signup - then cancel that you get another commercial sometimes the same freezing . I found if I go out of the show while frozen it will take me to to show I’m watching show - where I can select it to play - sometimes it goes right back into another freezing commercial. My app is current version. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Greetings @Anangel4u2,

Thanks for joining us here in the Roku Community!

Our team is aware of this issue and they're currently looking into it and what causing it. In addition to this, we would like to gather more information about it that we can provide to the concerned team. Please share with us the details below.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.