Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jobobhowdy
Channel Surfer

Can only output LPCM audio regardless of setting selection

I am no longer able to get anything other than two channel LPCM audio from Roku when using Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, Vudu, Peacock and Movies Anywhere.  I have tested the following models:  4670RW with software version 12.5.0 and build 4178-46, 4801RW with software version 12.5.0 and build 4178-DE and 4400X with software version 11.5.0 and build 4312-17.  Something has changed as I did not used to have this problem.  The Roku units are connected to a Sony AVR model STR-DH520 via HDMI. I have changed the audio settings on the Roku units from all auto to force either Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus, but only get LPCM.  The only exceptions are with the Plex app and the HDHomeRun apps. I use Plex to get over the air television signal to all the TVs in my home.  Where the channel broadcasts in DD5.1, the receiver translates the signal with no problem.  Other channels may only broadcast DD2.0 and the receiver handles it properly.  Everything else is LPCM only.  I changed the HDMI cable to make sure that was not the problem.  There is nothing wrong with my AVR.  I also have an Apple TV 4K and a Sony Blu-Ray player attached to the AVR in the same manner.  The Apple TV is set to send an LPCM signal to AVR and the AVR translates it properly to Dolby Digital 5.1.  In addition to Plex, I get DD5.1 with no problem from Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, Peacock, Vudu and Movies Anywhere.  Same is true for the Sony Blu-Ray player. It has Netflix, Amazon Video and Vudu apps installed.  They all get their signals translated to DD5.1.  Obviously, blu-ray and DVDs play in DD5.1 if recorded that way.  All my tests seem to point to a problem with my Roku units.  Is it a software problem?  What can I do to get this problem resolved?  Very frustrated and need some direction.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can only output LPCM audio regardless of setting selection

Are you using any of the volume modes (leveling/night)?  Press * on your remote while a video is playing and make sure it's set to "Off".

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jobobhowdy
Channel Surfer

Re: Can only output LPCM audio regardless of setting selection

Thanks for responding so quickly.  Sorry, I failed to mention that in my initial epistle, but yes, I had seen that in some other posts, so made sure all that was turned off.  

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.