Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmatth253

Bad quality picture, but only when I’m watching or Playing something.

Jump to solution

So I’ve had my Roku tv for about a year and some change, have never had any issues regarding picture quality. Just a few days ago I started experiencing a major issue with the color on my tv, but it only occurs when I am actually watching something or have a game system running. For instance, the home screen, any streaming app menus, all these things show up perfect. The moment I press “play” on any show or movie, on any app, and the picture quality is out the door. Go back to the menu screen and it’s as if there was never a problem. I reset all picture and color settings and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Bad quality picture, but only when I’m watching or Playing something.

Jump to solution

Greetings here in the Roku Community, @Jmatth253!

We appreciate you posting this picture quality issue to us and are here to help you with this.

If this issue occurs with a specific channel, you can try adjusting the channel image resolution or picture settings manually. While watching a video, press the Star button * on your Roku remote and select "picture settings" to customize your viewing experience. Also, consider changing the display type on your Roku streaming player.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Display type
  4. Select one of the available display types and press OK on your remote
  5. Your screen may go black for a few seconds while the display setting is changed
  6. When an image is shown, select Yes, I can see it, and press OK on your remote
  7. Your screen will return to the Display type menu
  8. A check will appear next to the new display setting
  • Note: If you receive a message indicating your TV does not support a display type, you can still select the display type and try it anyway.

Once it's done, please follow up for a system restart. Go to Settings > System > Power > System Restart.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Bad quality picture, but only when I’m watching or Playing something.

Jump to solution

Greetings here in the Roku Community, @Jmatth253!

We appreciate you posting this picture quality issue to us and are here to help you with this.

If this issue occurs with a specific channel, you can try adjusting the channel image resolution or picture settings manually. While watching a video, press the Star button * on your Roku remote and select "picture settings" to customize your viewing experience. Also, consider changing the display type on your Roku streaming player.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Display type
  4. Select one of the available display types and press OK on your remote
  5. Your screen may go black for a few seconds while the display setting is changed
  6. When an image is shown, select Yes, I can see it, and press OK on your remote
  7. Your screen will return to the Display type menu
  8. A check will appear next to the new display setting
  • Note: If you receive a message indicating your TV does not support a display type, you can still select the display type and try it anyway.

Once it's done, please follow up for a system restart. Go to Settings > System > Power > System Restart.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.